Feed Storage and waterers

I keep my feed in lock-top garbage bins I got from Home Depot. They have two wheels as well, which makes it easier for me to move them around the garage. I have been very happy with them; they seal airtight when you lock the handles, and they never get condensation or other moisture on the inside. Only about $24 at HD.

During a three week frozen snap last year I did just fine here without a heated waterer. We use these rubber dishes you can get at any farm supply, esp if they stock horse/cattle stuff. Come in many sizes, black, composte-looking rubber. When they freeze, you just kick em over with your boot, stomp em or whatever you want.

Talk about your cheep therapy.

I have used heated dog waterers for awhile. I take out gal glass jugs of water and tip on up into the waterer and when it gets about full of water and take it out and tip the other one into it. I leave it at an angle and prop it against the wall. Now I am going to figure out a way of securing it at the wall. I haven't had it fall over but these chickens I have now I don't trust. They like to get up on everything and if they slide off it just makes them more determined. LOL

The small opening of the jug doesn't let any water out until it gets down below it. That is why it must be at an angle to let the water out. I really have had good luck with it.

hello..i've been using those buckets you can buy cat litter in (washed out, very well)..the lids are tight on them, but i doubt it would be coon proof, if you have a racoon problem..but they work for us..since we already have to buy the buckets..we fiqured..why not use them?..good luck..Wendy

We use black plastic trash cans for the trash and the coons were happy to see them. We tired rocks on the lids. Didn;t work. The only thing that (knock on wood) has worked is two bungee cords on each lid and snuggged down really well. The garbage man hates us though. For feed we have used the metal cans and coons haven't gotten in them but they held goat food. Right now the chickie food is in the basement.

Question: What is the best way to set up the coop so one does not have to get up at 6:00 am to feed and water the chickens....Would like to make it more maintenance free so it would not take a babysitter to have to become a farmer in order to take care of chickens when we would like to be away for a couple of days....

We have not built the final coop yet...but feel that a more maintenance friendly coop should be the way......

All suggestions would be appreciated

Cat,
Before my run was built, I simply kept my four hens in their coop with feed/water. I didn't let them out into the back yard until 8am, as I figured this is when I'd have the time after taking my daughter to school. Didn't want the chickens getting the idea they should be out early each morning.
smile.png
They always waited nicely until I opened the coop.
The run is now finished, and the coop has a permanent opening to it. They can come down into the run in the morning when they feel like it. The first morning I heard them out bawking at 6:30!! yikes!
But now they are quiet as they've gotten used to the set up.
Because you're in Arizona, I would think you can have an open setup instead of a separate coop/run. As long as the whole thing is predator proof, they'll be safe and comfortable.

Carla

Back
Top Bottom