Feed Store Chick with one splayed leg, Slipped tendon?

Chick name suggestions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For the first few days some chicks throw their head back when drinking. Confined in the chair she may not be able to do that, so this may be why she's distressed when drinking.

You may need to take her out of the chair for short periods of time when she's drinking and eating, let her move about some.
There's no concrete answers on what to do, so you may need to make adjustments to your routine along the way to keep her stress to a minimum.

For the first few days some chicks throw their head back when drinking. Confined in the chair she may not be able to do that, so this may be why she's distressed when drinking.

You may need to take her out of the chair for short periods of time when she's drinking and eating, let her move about some.
There's no concrete answers on what to do, so you may need to make adjustments to your routine along the way to keep her stress to a minimum.
Good to know. I'm just happy to know I can do that safety. I think that would probably be good for her. Assuming I should keep the leg wrapped during this time?
I might let her mingle around the brooder this evening, she needs it.
Thank you!

Just went out to check on her again, and there were lots of happy peeps. :) She was nibbling away at her wetted down crumbles, and Zorro was racing back and forth across the brooder stopping to sneak a bite of Ebony's feed. 😊 She seemed very content. I switched her waterer out with a deeper lid, and everything seems to be going well. She's not struggling like before, though I do think that she gets irritated with drinking from the sling. So far things seem to be going well.

Anything as early as 24 hours you can try taking the bandage off and see how she does, but if she is not quite ready it can pop off again and you will need to rewrap it, some people do this anyway to see the progress. Chicks legs grow very quickly so every little bit of time makes a huge difference. I was over cautious and waited 3 days as I was too nervous to take it off but he was probably ready before that.

Anything as early as 24 hours you can try taking the bandage off and see how she does, but if she is not quite ready it can pop off again and you will need to rewrap it, some people do this anyway to see the progress. Chicks legs grow very quickly so every little bit of time makes a huge difference. I was over cautious and waited 3 days as I was too nervous to take it off but he was probably ready before that.
Good to know, thank you! I may give it one more day, then take it off tomorrow. Just yesterday when she escaped her sling I could tell she was trying to walk, so I think thats a good sign. Definitely awkward with her cast on though. ;) She'll be up and running in no time, I can't wait until she can zip around the brooder for the first time, that will be amazing.🥰

Perhaps her personality is more like my brothers. He didn't like the his cast either. And no way would he use a sling. Just do the best you can with that lil problem chick. Animals seem to heal faster than humans, escpecially baby ones, guess that might have to do with them being in a fast growing stage. Her twisting and fighting to get out of sling may do more damage than not having sling.

Ours was very wobbily at first stumbling and falling into things, it was hard not to hold him but he soon found his feet and within only a few days he was even jumping on top of the brooder plate to get out.
Good luck.

Ours was very wobbily at first stumbling and falling into things, it was hard not to hold him but he soon found his feet and within only a few days he was even jumping on top of the brooder plate to get out.
Good luck.
This is good to know, I'll remember that. I mostly want to make sure everything is doing okay in there. Make sure it didn't slip out or anything while wrapped. I may let her test her legs though if everything looks good. :)

Yes unwrapped her leg and it looks like the tendon had popped back out. We placed it back in but now it looks like her leg is rotated? Haven’t casted it yet, how should we proceed?
F3706732-EFB6-40D4-9647-2E75081EBF4F.jpeg

Worried for this poor sweet girl. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom