Feed Store Chick with one splayed leg, Slipped tendon?

Chick name suggestions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone. Came home from the local feed store today with a disabled chick, of course. 😜🤦‍♀️ She, hopefully she, is a black EE with a single splayed leg. From what I've read, this is usually caused by slipped tendon? I've heard its untreatable, though I wanted to get additional opinions and experiences.
The chick, who is currently unnamed, (suggestions welcome!) can still move around fine, and seems to be walking on her hock. She can run/hobble to the feeder, and seems to be acting fine otherwise, she has a very high spirit.
Is there anything I can do about this injury? If not, is it something they can adapt too, or live with? I want to do as much for this baby as possible, I saw her today and couldn't leave her there. You can't really see how splayed her leg is in the first photo, but I hope the second and third photos give a good enough visual. I have a video as well, though our internet is very slow right now so I may have to upload it later. If any additional photos are desired I will be glad to take them. :)
Her companion is a Welsh Harlequin duckling. I know raising the species together isn't ideal, but that was the only way I could get my mom to agree to bring her home. Figured it was better than leaving her there. They are currently settled in the brooder, and both seem to be very happy together. Ducky, whom I also need to name, is being so sweet to her companion. Picking bedding out of her down, and waddling around with her. Their brooder setup is one saw dust pellets, I figured that was a good choice for a duckling, and a bit of straw since I had some to use up. I have a 1 gallon chick waterer in the brooder, but am going to cut some holes in a rubbermaid continuer for the duckling to dunk her head in. Both are eating and the duckling is drinking.
Thanks for all the help, I really hope that I can doctor up, or at least set this baby up for success.
TIA!
@MGG

Attachments

• IMG_2971.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 19
For our little chick with a slipped tendon we followed an article called a slipped tendon:eek:ne chicks story.
You need to gently pull the leg backwards into a straight position, gently massaging the tendon back over the hock, you will know when it is done as you will feel or hear a slight pop and the leg will feel smooth. Once this is done, wrap the leg in that position for 2/3 days checking regularly its not too tight or swelling. We put ours in a little chick chair made from a pot noodle pot and raised the brooder plate to the height of his head so he fit underneath.After 3 days we unwrapped his leg and he stood straightaway, was very wobbly walking but got stronger everyday. He is now a year old and has no problems at all. We gave b12 for 7 days aswell to help strenghthen his legs.
Good luck with your little one, hopefully they will be running round in no time.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_095512.jpg
    IMG_20210821_095512.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210822_091228.jpg
    IMG_20210822_091228.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220131_161535.jpg
    IMG_20220131_161535.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 5
Hello everyone. Came home from the local feed store today with a disabled chick, of course. 😜🤦‍♀️ She, hopefully she, is a black EE with a single splayed leg. From what I've read, this is usually caused by slipped tendon? I've heard its untreatable, though I wanted to get additional opinions and experiences.
The chick, who is currently unnamed, (suggestions welcome!) can still move around fine, and seems to be walking on her hock. She can run/hobble to the feeder, and seems to be acting fine otherwise, she has a very high spirit.
Is there anything I can do about this injury? If not, is it something they can adapt too, or live with? I want to do as much for this baby as possible, I saw her today and couldn't leave her there. You can't really see how splayed her leg is in the first photo, but I hope the second and third photos give a good enough visual. I have a video as well, though our internet is very slow right now so I may have to upload it later. If any additional photos are desired I will be glad to take them. :)
Her companion is a Welsh Harlequin duckling. I know raising the species together isn't ideal, but that was the only way I could get my mom to agree to bring her home. Figured it was better than leaving her there. They are currently settled in the brooder, and both seem to be very happy together. Ducky, whom I also need to name, is being so sweet to her companion. Picking bedding out of her down, and waddling around with her. Their brooder setup is one saw dust pellets, I figured that was a good choice for a duckling, and a bit of straw since I had some to use up. I have a 1 gallon chick waterer in the brooder, but am going to cut some holes in a rubbermaid continuer for the duckling to dunk her head in. Both are eating and the duckling is drinking.
Thanks for all the help, I really hope that I can doctor up, or at least set this baby up for success.
TIA!
@MGG
Aww! Such a sweetheart.
That is definitely a slipped tendon.
There are some various methods of trying to fix it, and the fact that she's so young is good.
I'll gather the links I bookmarked when my duck slipped his tendon.

You can try splinting, then placing her in a chick chair.

The swelling is concerning, so you'll want to monitor that. Possible that may rupture and ooze, let's hope not.
I would get 1/4 tablet B-Complex into her as well. If the other leg is turned or spraddled, you may have to hobble her while in the chair.

I'm not the best at fixing legs. I need my chicks up and running quickly, so unless I can correct in a couple of days, I cull. That's just the way it is.

Splint for slipped tendon https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

Good leg care info http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

You've brought up a very good point, and I'm ashamed to admit, it didn't occur to me in the overall picture about the chick needing heat.

That chick is still under three days old. No more than four. Likely a male since it has no wing feathers. Therefore, it wouldn't hurt it to be swaddled in some sort of heat reflecting cloth such as thermal underwear. As long as the chick is consuming calories, it will generate its own heat. You just need to help it conserve it.

For our little chick with a slipped tendon we followed an article called a slipped tendon:eek:ne chicks story.
You need to gently pull the leg backwards into a straight position, gently massaging the tendon back over the hock, you will know when it is done as you will feel or hear a slight pop and the leg will feel smooth. Once this is done, wrap the leg in that position for 2/3 days checking regularly its not too tight or swelling. We put ours in a little chick chair made from a pot noodle pot and raised the brooder plate to the height of his head so he fit underneath.After 3 days we unwrapped his leg and he stood straightaway, was very wobbly walking but got stronger everyday. He is now a year old and has no problems at all. We gave b12 for 7 days aswell to help strenghthen his legs.
Good luck with your little one, hopefully they will be running round in no time.
Thank you! This is so so helpful. Last night when we placed the tendon, I had my mom who has done some training with things like this, being a massage therapist do it. I wasn't quite sure were to push at first. She said she felt the pop. As long as it didn't pop back out while we were wrapping I'm pretty sure that we got her casted up nicely. Her leg looked normal after placing the tendon, so I'm pretty sure it didn't pop back out. Thanks for your insight! Especially with after care and treatment. This is very helpful. Thank you!

Just went out to check on her again, and there were lots of happy peeps. :) She was nibbling away at her wetted down crumbles, and Zorro was racing back and forth across the brooder stopping to sneak a bite of Ebony's feed. 😊 She seemed very content. I switched her waterer out with a deeper lid, and everything seems to be going well. She's not struggling like before, though I do think that she gets irritated with drinking from the sling. So far things seem to be going well.

Back
Top Bottom