Feed Store Chick with one splayed leg, Slipped tendon?

Chick name suggestions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm also adding a name poll. I need to name them stat or their names are going to be Chicky and Ducky, which I don't want to stick. :lol:
The poll will be for the chick, but I'd love to hear your suggestions for the duckling as well!

Last edited:
View attachment 3021094
View attachment 3021095
Heres her setup. I ended up splinting both legs, the second one loosely, so that she couldn't bend the second one and try to jump out. I heard that I should unwrap and rewrap each leg daily to let her get some movement. I'd be concerned that her tendon might pop back out in the unwrapping and stretching period? Should I leave it wrapped for the first day, or?? Thanks for the help, I want to give her the best shot possible. :D
Also, I order the Vitamin B complex, hoping this is the right one. :p
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD8KFY8?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp
I'd be careful of her little wings. That setup looks like it puts a lot of strain on them.

I'd be careful of her little wings. That setup looks like it puts a lot of strain on them.
I was concerned about that as well, thats why I didn't tape the glove down. I don't think it puts any real weight on her wings, she just wont keep them in the sling, she wants them spread out. I can pull the glove down the container more to raise her a bit, it might help her keep her wings in more.
Thank for the input, I'll go try to correct that right now. :)

Anything as early as 24 hours you can try taking the bandage off and see how she does, but if she is not quite ready it can pop off again and you will need to rewrap it, some people do this anyway to see the progress. Chicks legs grow very quickly so every little bit of time makes a huge difference. I was over cautious and waited 3 days as I was too nervous to take it off but he was probably ready before that.
Good to know, thank you! I may give it one more day, then take it off tomorrow. Just yesterday when she escaped her sling I could tell she was trying to walk, so I think thats a good sign. Definitely awkward with her cast on though. ;) She'll be up and running in no time, I can't wait until she can zip around the brooder for the first time, that will be amazing.🥰

Perhaps her personality is more like my brothers. He didn't like the his cast either. And no way would he use a sling. Just do the best you can with that lil problem chick. Animals seem to heal faster than humans, escpecially baby ones, guess that might have to do with them being in a fast growing stage. Her twisting and fighting to get out of sling may do more damage than not having sling.

Poor thing. I'd put the tendon back in, and wrap it forward this time instead of backwards. It's just so hard to wrap it correctly to where the tendon can't get back out. Do you have any pics of how it was wrapped before?

Poor thing, it is hard to know if you have it correctly placed, they are so small and fragile too. I agree with the advice, luckily you checked when you did so you can quickly fix it.

Poor thing, it is hard to know if you have it correctly placed, they are so small and fragile too. I agree with the advice, luckily you checked when you did so you can quickly fix it.
I know, I’m glad I did too. Now that I feel like I know what yo look for, I’ll just hope it stays in place. :fl
We also made her a new sling. Took a clear Rubbermaid container snd stretched vet weep around it. Seems like it might work better than the cup. Cross my golfing era for this sweet girl. Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom