Feed Store Chick with one splayed leg, Slipped tendon?

Chick name suggestions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd be careful of her little wings. That setup looks like it puts a lot of strain on them.
I was concerned about that as well, thats why I didn't tape the glove down. I don't think it puts any real weight on her wings, she just wont keep them in the sling, she wants them spread out. I can pull the glove down the container more to raise her a bit, it might help her keep her wings in more.
Thank for the input, I'll go try to correct that right now. :)

For our little chick with a slipped tendon we followed an article called a slipped tendon:eek:ne chicks story.
You need to gently pull the leg backwards into a straight position, gently massaging the tendon back over the hock, you will know when it is done as you will feel or hear a slight pop and the leg will feel smooth. Once this is done, wrap the leg in that position for 2/3 days checking regularly its not too tight or swelling. We put ours in a little chick chair made from a pot noodle pot and raised the brooder plate to the height of his head so he fit underneath.After 3 days we unwrapped his leg and he stood straightaway, was very wobbly walking but got stronger everyday. He is now a year old and has no problems at all. We gave b12 for 7 days aswell to help strenghthen his legs.
Good luck with your little one, hopefully they will be running round in no time.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_095512.jpg
    IMG_20210821_095512.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210822_091228.jpg
    IMG_20210822_091228.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220131_161535.jpg
    IMG_20220131_161535.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 5
For our little chick with a slipped tendon we followed an article called a slipped tendon:eek:ne chicks story.
You need to gently pull the leg backwards into a straight position, gently massaging the tendon back over the hock, you will know when it is done as you will feel or hear a slight pop and the leg will feel smooth. Once this is done, wrap the leg in that position for 2/3 days checking regularly its not too tight or swelling. We put ours in a little chick chair made from a pot noodle pot and raised the brooder plate to the height of his head so he fit underneath.After 3 days we unwrapped his leg and he stood straightaway, was very wobbly walking but got stronger everyday. He is now a year old and has no problems at all. We gave b12 for 7 days aswell to help strenghthen his legs.
Good luck with your little one, hopefully they will be running round in no time.
Thank you! This is so so helpful. Last night when we placed the tendon, I had my mom who has done some training with things like this, being a massage therapist do it. I wasn't quite sure were to push at first. She said she felt the pop. As long as it didn't pop back out while we were wrapping I'm pretty sure that we got her casted up nicely. Her leg looked normal after placing the tendon, so I'm pretty sure it didn't pop back out. Thanks for your insight! Especially with after care and treatment. This is very helpful. Thank you!

Update: This morning when I went out to check on them, Ebony made it very clear she did not like her sling. I found her half out hanging over the edge with her good leg and tail still on the edge of the sling. She was just laying there. She was fine, and responsive when I walked in. Honestly she acted like she was more comfortable in that position than in the sling. 🤦‍♀️
I gave her some water and offered her some feed. She didn't seem to interested in eating, but she did drink. She will eat, just no at that moment since she was probably stressed. I looked at the sling again and realized I must have made the holes to big, and it didn't look very comfortable. I think she was sinking into it too much. I un-splinted her good leg, and cut up two more gloves, but I think I finally got a better setup and it looks much more comfortable. Once I got her back in the brooder under the light, I gave her a couple drops of Nutri-Drench. Zorro had a great time chasing the drops that fell onto the bedding. 🥰
Everything seems well, do you think that her drawling out of the sling could have damaged the wrap/the tendon? The cast looks fine, and her leg is still straight.
Also, what exactly should I be looking for them I check her cast daily? Just anything that looks to tight, or swelling? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't want to do anything that might hurt her more. :p Thank you for the help! I'll post a photo of her new sling setup soon.

I bought some from poultry farm. They send an extra one. Good thing, cause one chick has a damaged leg. They suggested using a hair tie and running it thru a short piece of drinking straw then loop it over each leg to help pull the swaddled leg back in.

Didn't work for my bird, as she has worse trouble. Twisted, broken, with toes pointing up and knee joint swollen. She does not eat much and does not move around much. She does not seem to be in pain, so unless someone has a better idea, just going to watch her to make sure others don't start picking on her.

Didn't work for my bird, as she has worse trouble. Twisted, broken, with toes pointing up and knee joint swollen. She does not eat much and does not move around much. She does not seem to be in pain, so unless someone has a better idea, just going to watch her to make sure others don't start picking on her.
It sounds like your baby has slipped tendon. It is a very painful condition. I suggest you follow all the links and advise that was given to me by others to help treat her. You can start at page 1 of this thread and read though. The linked articles are very helpful, especially the BYC thread. If it goes untreated for too long it becomes untreatable. If you can't fix it they have to be culled. I hope your able to help your baby! Feel free to follow along, or make your own thread with photos if you want more specific advice.

I bought some from poultry farm. They send an extra one. Good thing, cause one chick has a damaged leg. They suggested using a hair tie and running it thru a short piece of drinking straw then loop it over each leg to help pull the swaddled leg back in.

trying to apply the tendon trick not getting it. so tiny

Attachments

• 20220311_125414.jpg
    20220311_125414.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 5
trying to apply the tendon trick not getting it. so tiny
Its hard. Stretch her leg out behind her, and gently massage against the side of the hock. Two hands is helpful for this, one holding the baby, one popping the tendon back in. I couldn't figure it out right away either.
Can you post a more clear photo of the leg? Is it twisted or are my eyes deceiving me?

Back
Top Bottom