Feed Store Chick with one splayed leg, Slipped tendon?

Chick name suggestions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You've brought up a very good point, and I'm ashamed to admit, it didn't occur to me in the overall picture about the chick needing heat.

That chick is still under three days old. No more than four. Likely a male since it has no wing feathers. Therefore, it wouldn't hurt it to be swaddled in some sort of heat reflecting cloth such as thermal underwear. As long as the chick is consuming calories, it will generate its own heat. You just need to help it conserve it.
Okay, good to know. I already cut up a slightly fluffy glove for the sling, will that be warm enough? She'll have access to water and food the whole time. I'm going to try some egg yolk and well for protein.
Also, hopefully she does have some small wing feathers, which are slightly uneven. I've heard that longer flight feathers can be female at 3 days old? Not sure if that makes a difference, but hopefully it means she's a she!

...It's a feed store EE. Probably a sexed one.
She was the only one of her breed there. This is a small local feed store and they actually did a pretty good job with the chicks. I loved their brooder setup, very clean and spacious. They had her separated with two other Welsummers in a different brooder to keep her from getting picked on. Not sure if that makes a difference or not that she was the only one left, but there were no genders listed on any of the brooders, so I was assuming straight run. I do hope she is a hen. :)

She was the only one of her breed there. This is a small local feed store and they actually did a pretty good job with the chicks. I loved their brooder setup, very clean and spacious. They had her separated with two other Welsummers in a different brooder to keep her from getting picked on. Not sure if that makes a difference or not that she was the only one left, but there were no genders listed on any of the brooders, so I was assuming straight run. I do hope she is a hen. :)
Well, since she is an EE, there is no indication of gender via wing feathers.

Had a turkey poult go splay legged on me so I made the band aid splint which wasn't very successful then found out the bedding was the cause. I had regular wood shavings and was told that the best bedding is a layer or 2 of paper towels because they can grip it whereas the shavings are slippery causing splay leg. Once we changed the bedding to paper towels the poult got around just fine!! Hope that helps! The woman who sold me the poults gave me that advice and said she always gives them paper towel bedding the first few weeks.

Had a turkey poult go splay legged on me so I made the band aid splint which wasn't very successful then found out the bedding was the cause. I had regular wood shavings and was told that the best bedding is a layer or 2 of paper towels because they can grip it whereas the shavings are slippery causing splay leg. Once we changed the bedding to paper towels the poult got around just fine!! Hope that helps! The woman who sold me the poults gave me that advice and said she always gives them paper towel bedding the first few weeks.
I believe another method we tried was setting the poult down in a small cup that kept her legs from spreading but truly changing the bedding made the biggest immediate impact.

You can give the PND until you get the B-Complex.
PND does not contain B2(Riboflavin) this is why I suggested the B-Complex.
Got it, I'll order some B-comple to have on hand, and use the PND until then. Thank you! I just finished getting her legs splinted and her in a sling. Her duck friend is SO sweet, sitting right in front of her and keeping her company. I'll send a photo. I had my mom help me pot the tendon back in. She used to be a massage therapist so has some training with things like this. I'll post photos in a second. I'm slightly concerned she wont be able to reach her water cup, so suggestions for this are very welcome!

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

Heres her setup. I ended up splinting both legs, the second one loosely, so that she couldn't bend the second one and try to jump out. I heard that I should unwrap and rewrap each leg daily to let her get some movement. I'd be concerned that her tendon might pop back out in the unwrapping and stretching period? Should I leave it wrapped for the first day, or?? Thanks for the help, I want to give her the best shot possible. :D
Also, I order the Vitamin B complex, hoping this is the right one. :p
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD8KFY8?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

View attachment 3021094
View attachment 3021095
Heres her setup. I ended up splinting both legs, the second one loosely, so that she couldn't bend the second one and try to jump out. I heard that I should unwrap and rewrap each leg daily to let her get some movement. I'd be concerned that her tendon might pop back out in the unwrapping and stretching period? Should I leave it wrapped for the first day, or?? Thanks for the help, I want to give her the best shot possible. :D
Also, I order the Vitamin B complex, hoping this is the right one. :p
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD8KFY8?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp
I'd be careful of her little wings. That setup looks like it puts a lot of strain on them.

Back
Top Bottom