Feed Store Chick with one splayed leg, Slipped tendon?

Chick name suggestions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I need some advice. I've made 3 different slings now with 3 different gloves, and she will not stay in her sling. I think I've got the comfort scale just about as good as its gonna get, but she just wont tolerate it. I don't want to re-splint her other leg since that seems really uncomfortable, but if thats what I have to do to keep her in the sling, so be it. Any suggestions? I've even tried laying a piece of vet wrap over her back and loosely sticking it to the glove. This maybe works a bit to keep her calm, but its not holding her in the sling. I've found her out of it 3 times now this morning. :hmm

my chick is only 2 days old. foot points backward. afraid i'd actually tear
leg off. she is so delicate

Attachments

• 20220311_125414.jpg
    20220311_125414.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 4
Its hard. Stretch her leg out behind her, and gently massage against the side of the hock. Two hands is helpful for this, one holding the baby, one popping the tendon back in. I couldn't figure it out right away either.
Can you post a more clear photo of the leg? Is it twisted or are my eyes deceiving me?
it istwisted.. toe points up when i try to straighten it

Attachments

• 20220311_131721.jpg
    20220311_131721.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220311_132105.jpg
    20220311_132105.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 4
it istwisted.. toe points up when i try to straighten it
Ooo, thats is a unique situation. I wouldn't try anything right now. This is a bit more sever than slipped tendon. Can you post a thread in the ER forum? I think that you'll get more help there than here. Your situation is different than mine. Good luck to you and your baby!

When you check the leg, you just want to make sure its not too tight around the top and the foot is not swollen at all, good way to check is to compare the colour, size and heat of it with the other one, as long as its the same its doing ok.
We made sure the feet werent touching the floor, just the toes dangling, as it was meant to help the tendon stay in place and repair, this might be a way to stop her getting out, if shes got no leverage off the ground.
If she isn't eating you could try mashed up boiled egg yolk, it's good for them and they usually love it.

When you check the leg, you just want to make sure its not too tight around the top and the foot is not swollen at all, good way to check is to compare the colour, size and heat of it with the other one, as long as its the same its doing ok.
We made sure the feet werent touching the floor, just the toes dangling, as it was meant to help the tendon stay in place and repair, this might be a way to stop her getting out, if shes got no leverage off the ground.
If she isn't eating you could try mashed up boiled egg yolk, it's good for them and they usually love it.
Awesome, thank you! I do think her toes can touch a bit. I cut a new yogurt container that was a little higher, she hasn't gotten out of that, but I have seen her try. I'll try to raise it a bit more. She has been drinking, but I haven't seen her eat yet. She was eating yesterday before I put her in the sling, so I'm hoping she'll start eating once she settles down a bit. She's resting currently. I'm going to be out of the house for most of the day, so I'm a bit concerned about leaving her. I will probably have a neighbor come and check on her at least once though. I'm sure she'll be fine, just a worried momma over here. ;):)

When I got home just a moment ago, Ebony was out of her sling and scuttling around the brooder. 🤦‍♀️ There is something in her crop, not sure if its water or food, but at least I know she's eating something. Good news is that she was trying to stand. Her leg still looks fine, I don't think the tendon popped out, but what do i do from here? I tried making a few minor adjustments, and she just wont stay in it. I went all the way too tensioning a piece of vet wrap over her back, but she just wont stay in. She takes her good leg and curls it up into sling, then pushes herself out with that. Suggestions? Do I have to use a sling? I'm assuming so, I just don't know how to keep her in it without her hurting herself falling out. I raised it and all. 🤷‍♀️ Any suggestions are much appreciated, I'm currently holding her so she wont stress her leg. Thanks for the help!

I decided to wrap her other leg so that she couldn't get out of the sling. I placed her in the sling in the brooder and gave her some egg. She happily ate it, and I put it in her feed cup as well. Zorro made a fun game of dodging my hand while I shooed her away, but she still successfully ate all the egg off of her plate. :rolleyes: She ate a good amount of egg though, so that makes me happy. She wasn't to excited about the feed, or feed mash, but I think she may have been full. I filled up her water too, and she' happily drank away. But every time she drank water, she wiggled and kicked trying to get out of the sling. She started peeping loudly too. When she starts drinking she gets upset. I think she may have calmed down now, but she's definitely ready to be done with that sling. I'd be surprised if she tolerated it for the next 2 days. How soon can I try to unwrap her leg? She is not happy about being stationary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom