Feed!

I've been looking at feed prices (don't yet have chickens). I'm seeing 50lb bags from around $22-$30 by me. Can someone versed in nutrition compare these 2 labels for me? I'm planning on having just 2 or 3 buff orpington hens for egg layers. Was thinking of buying 50lb bags for economy.

These 2 labels are from Cal-Ranch which seems to be cheaper than what our Tractor Supply carries.
The percent protein is the main ingredient to look at. So the second is is much better.

Whoah dumor isn't the cheapest feed in normal circumstances. I drive an hour to get my feed. I've been buying bulk lately..and I have turkeys. Meat bird crumbles is 20...my wallet cries when I go to grab cash...we play tug of war. It asks me why I'm so mean..
Oh my, how much does it cost to drive an hour? Let’s say you’re saving a coupla’ bucks on a bag of feed and your truck gets 20 mpg, your trip cost is $30 plus wear and tear and the value of your time. So you’d have to be buying 15 bags of feed to break even.

I've been looking at feed prices (don't yet have chickens). I'm seeing 50lb bags from around $22-$30 by me. Can someone versed in nutrition compare these 2 labels for me? I'm planning on having just 2 or 3 buff orpington hens for egg layers. Was thinking of buying 50lb bags for economy.

These 2 labels are from Cal-Ranch which seems to be cheaper than what our Tractor Supply carries.

Attachments

• purina-layena-layer-pellets-16_-40_-348067-03_1.jpg
    purina-layena-layer-pellets-16_-40_-348067-03_1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2
  • country-companion-all-flock-pellet-50_-5i8a2463-03_1.jpg
    country-companion-all-flock-pellet-50_-5i8a2463-03_1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2
I sell my eggs, eat my extra roos and old hens, and am culling my way towards a project chicken. I'm licensed to sell chicks and hatching eggs too, including NPIP so they can cross state lines, but I don't yet have a bird I'm proud enough of to put my approval on it by selling it.
You've got high standards for yourself. I bet you're chicks are worth buying. I sold some chicks and baby turkeys to sublet some of my food costs. It's shocking how quick the money goes though. Sold some pickled eggs too..you can get a good chunk of change for pickled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom