Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

I hear that! We also grow the "root vegetable" staple food Xanthosoma sagittifolium: which depending where you are from is called tannia, tannier, new cocoyam, giant taro, yautia, malanga, and others i dont recall. Except you have to be careful because Ive read that in Cuba they call it malanga but in PR they call it yautia and call taro (ie colocasia esculenta) malanga. :hmm :lau

I second learning your botanical names (those are confusing enough). it doesnt just make you sound smarter, but could save your life one day :)

I love this chart. It's SO helpful for a quick reference guide! Thank you Buff. I turned it into an easily-printable PDF so that I could hang a copy in my kitchen and henhouse. Here's the PDF file in case anybody else wants to do the same...

Attachments

• ChickenTreatChart.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 30
Cooked oatmeal is a good treat for them on cold days too. I have given my chickens double-brewed coffee before, and they liked that too.

Great post, super helpful! I’ve found that my hens love mangoes, if I cut the skins up, they’re gone almost as soon as I toss ‘em in the coop! I’ve also found that some foods can affect the egg colors - a friend fed the leftover mash from making grape jelly to her hens, and there were purple swirls and spots on some of their eggs.

Your comments and suggestions for the Treats Chart are welcome. Please post them here.
Thanks, Buff Hooligans

The Treats Chart is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart
Enjoyed your "what to feed as treats for chickens." I am curious why you state that sweet potatoes and yams do not have much protein, and that they had to be cooked. I used to feed my double-yellowhead parrot pealed chunks of raw sweet potato, and it was considered a nearly perfect complete food, and a healthy part of the diet. I don't know how much the dietary requirements vary between the species of bird. I think white baking potatoes and red skinned potatoes have less nutrition than the yam or sweet potato or taro.

Enjoyed your "what to feed as treats for chickens." I am curious why you state that sweet potatoes and yams do not have much protein, and that they had to be cooked. I used to feed my double-yellowhead parrot pealed chunks of raw sweet potato, and it was considered a nearly perfect complete food, and a healthy part of the diet. I don't know how much the dietary requirements vary between the species of bird. I think white baking potatoes and red skinned potatoes have less nutrition than the yam or sweet potato or taro.
In Africa, they are promoting sweet potatoes as an easy to grow and highly nutritious, high in calories, and carbohydrates, as a way to relieve the starvation in most of the countries.

Gosh I gave my birds catfood during their molts...What is a good alternative? I also give my girls garlic..is that ok?

Back
Top Bottom