Feeder Build

If level of fed in tray is too shallow, you'd need to raise the clear plastic piece.
But you know that....so you've lowered the front piece for easier access to the shallow layer instead. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I have a gravity type feeder...one bird in particular pecks and pecks and pecks at the hole the feed comes out of until she as a big pile in the bucket. SMH.

After a few days away for vacation I came back to examine the feeder. Watching them on the chicken cam and the evidenced shows that they like to eat from the ends... I'll put an end in the middle and see what they do.

feeder-06.jpg

I'm liking what I see in the tray...
feeder-07.jpg

JT

Attachments

• feeder-06.jpg
    feeder-06.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 15
  • feeder-07.jpg
    feeder-07.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 13
Great update and results! <thumbsup>

Curious...what is the dimension between plexiglass and front piece?
Are the turning their heads to eat or going in straight on?

That lexan look pretty thin....1/8"?
Any bowing?

Last edited:
Great update and results! <thumbsup>

Curious...what is the dimension between plexiglass and front piece?
Are the turning their heads to eat or going in straight on?

That lexan look pretty thin....1/8"?
Any bowing?

The distance between the face of the lexan and the inside of the 1 by is 3".
They mostly come at it straight on but some turn a bit to get into the corner.
The lexan is 1/4" thick and no bowing at all.

JT

This is an awesome bin feeder, probably the best I've seen.
Great documentation and updates-hope you continue them.

Any concern with rain infiltration and/or rodents?
Looks like you're well meshed against wild birds.

Tho I like to store my feed in a metal can so mice can't get it and to protect from humidity in summer. I also like to monitor daily consumption to balance treats with feed.....and am a bit OCD, haha!
It takes my 17 birds about 3 weeks to go thru a 50# bag of feed.

What program did you use to do this model?
Would be great if there was a front view... and dimensions.
The side view of the drawing.
feeder-side-view-jpg.1190646

This is an awesome bin feeder, probably the best I've seen.
Great documentation and updates-hope you continue them.

Any concern with rain infiltration and/or rodents?
Looks like you're well meshed against wild birds.

Tho I like to store my feed in a metal can so mice can't get it and to protect from humidity in summer. I also like to monitor daily consumption to balance treats with feed.....and am a bit OCD, haha!
It takes my 17 birds about 3 weeks to go thru a 50# bag of feed.

What program did you use to do this model?
Would be great if there was a front view... and dimensions.

As soon as I get a moment or three I'll make a drawing. The important parts as I see it is the top and bottom angle of the sides and the gap at the bottom. I don't think rain can get into it, I could put a piece of OSB behind it on top in case of some horizontal rain from the east... but I've not seen that here yet. I probably need to put out some bait stations outside the chicken yard...

What happens with exposure to humidly?

I'm thinking of building a smaller one that holds a weeks worth of food but I like the width of this one so still pondering...

I use SolidWorks, I design and build automation equipment so kinda high dollar software.

JT

What happens with exposure to humidly?

I'm thinking of building a smaller one that holds a weeks worth of food but I like the width of this one so still pondering...

I use SolidWorks, I design and build automation equipment so kinda high dollar software.
Humidity can cause crumble and mash type feed to cake and not flow.....and maybe mold....and maybe degrade nutrition.

Could just use the one you have and just not put so much in it.
The width is good for multiple birds feeding at once.

I use ACAD Inventor and Mechanical, bought it to freelance after losing 18 year pharm equip design job in '08. Learned SW and Pro-E at the same time.

Humidity can cause crumble and mash type feed to cake and not flow.....and maybe mold....and maybe degrade nutrition.

Could just use the one you have and just not put so much in it.
The width is good for multiple birds feeding at once.

I use ACAD Inventor and Mechanical, bought it to freelance after losing 18 year pharm equip design job in '08. Learned SW and Pro-E at the same time.

I did want to see what a sack looked like... when it is out I'll start putting less in at a time. I think a sack lasts a month, but I don't keep good notes on that yet.

Yep, I agree that width is a good thing to give them some elbow room. The older they get the more random they feed, at first when one went to eat they all thought they had to eat. Now I never see more than 3 feeding at the same time.

The guys down at Briggs have to use Pro-E, I've messed with it a bit but not enough to learn it well, started with SW back in 199something and have used it ever since. Fusion 360 being free seems to attract a lot of folks but I hate anything cloud based even though you can work off line.

JT

Back
Top Bottom