feeder outside-do you have a little shelter for yours?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
We have lots of siding leftover from building our coop so I was thinking about building a little hut or something to put an outside feeder in (to keep rain out). Does anyone have anything like this? Got pics?

Might want to try a rain hat for your feeder. Works great.

Here is a pic.

yhst-47162501710842_2173_93964254

I think I'd need something with more coverage. We almost never get straight up and down rain. It's usually windy and the rain comes down at an angle, or sometimes sideways.

I have been trying to locate this pic that I took from the Baton Rouge, LA zoo a couple of years ago. They have what you are describing. They have small "huts" that some of the smaller animals can use to get out of the sun. I am going to transform that into a "hut" to put my outside feeders in so that the feed does not get wet when in rains. Now, it's just finding the pic.
somad.gif

The only thing that I have like what you are talking about is for my sheep and that is too large and too tall for chickens.

This is what I did. I could have made it larger but the run is just not large enough.

97568_2002_0101image0001.jpg

The dome thing on top of the feeder has kept the feed dry up to now. It's some kind of a snake keeper off of a bird feeder. It's works better as an umbrella.
smile.png

Now that I look at the picture, it's terrible. Don't know what happened but still you can tell what I did.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is sooooo unique! I love that. Do you have any trouble with the rain blowing in sideways and getting the feed wet? I love your idea! Good job.
thumbsup.gif

Yesterday we had a pretty good blow. The ground around and the dome thing was wet but the feed was dry. I guess I was just lucky. The dome keep stuff out of the feeder too.

Thanks for the complement. I didn't think it was so much unique as functional. That's about all my old mind could come up with. It turned 68 today and it's gotten kinda tires. The brain. The rest of me is still 22.
lol.png
The little hut thing also provides a degree of shade for the hens when they're eating. Plus, I just didn't want the feed spill inside the coop.

Last edited:
Yep, way too little cover and too much exposure to wind. . . I too am working on ideas for a rainproof feeder. In the winter here it does nothing but rain, and rain comes with LOTS of hard wind.

I had this, and considered building a wall/cover for rain protection
( we always get sideways rain too
wink.png
)
85907_run_done.jpg

We live in a rainy area, so I gave up and moved it indoors (will be great for winter storms):
85907_aug_2011_feeder.jpg

I bought one of these because the perforated platform screamed "air movement" to me:
85907_feed_tray.jpg

~ and it's working great for feed as well as a treat tray
thumbsup.gif

85907_new_step.jpg

They're on sale at Lowe's for $20 at the moment if anyone's interested, in the wild bird feeding aisle.

Back
Top Bottom