Feeder pigs and RUPTURES HELP!

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
I was told today, I can get FREE weenlings...feeder pigs, but they will have ruptures from where the castrated, and...well..it didnt go well.
hmm.png
What exactly are we talking about...and how hard will it be to raise them to maturity? (250 lbs) Will they need special care because of the rupture?? Is it worth my time?? I need to know SOON, they are talking THIS FRIDAY!!!

My husband says it's where the stomach lining comes through where the testicles were. They would take the pigs to the vet and have them stitch them up and all is well. Don't quote me it's what my husband said
hu.gif

Quote:
And he's right! Generally a ruptured pig won't bring a good price at market/sale-which is why they are offering them to you.

But there's really no reason why you can't raise one to butcher. There's a possibility that it could relapse (you will have to take them to a vet now, if the rupture hasn't been seen to already), but in that case, you would want to butcher a little early, rather than have another surgery.

Quote:
Yes, and not necessarily.
lol.png

If the current owner hasn't taken care of the ruptures, you will need to get them stitched.

It is *possible* that they will have a relapse, but chances are good that they won't, and you can take them to full butcher size.

Well, these are coming from a large hog farm. They give away the "culls" I doubt they have been stitched...hmmmm. Thanks. I might need to look into it more...they said I can have all I wanted...free.

I would do it...another reason they cant keep them is they cant run them in the feed lot with the rest as the other pigs will start to chew on the area,and kill the pig anyway...but you should be fine running 2-4 in a pen to raise for yourselves..hog farms are just not set up to keep a few here and there..its more work then its worth for them

Thanks everyone, I Guess I will just get a few, and see how it goes. Free cant be beat! I just dont want them to be suffering, ya know? When I get them I will get pics. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom