1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeder pigs and RUPTURES HELP!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by justusnak, Apr 20, 2009.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I was told today, I can get FREE weenlings...feeder pigs, but they will have ruptures from where the castrated, and...well..it didnt go well. [​IMG] What exactly are we talking about...and how hard will it be to raise them to maturity? (250 lbs) Will they need special care because of the rupture?? Is it worth my time?? I need to know SOON, they are talking THIS FRIDAY!!!

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    My husband says it's where the stomach lining comes through where the testicles were. They would take the pigs to the vet and have them stitch them up and all is well. Don't quote me it's what my husband said [​IMG]

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:And he's right! Generally a ruptured pig won't bring a good price at market/sale-which is why they are offering them to you.

But there's really no reason why you can't raise one to butcher. There's a possibility that it could relapse (you will have to take them to a vet now, if the rupture hasn't been seen to already), but in that case, you would want to butcher a little early, rather than have another surgery.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

So, I will need to take them to get stitched!?? And butcher at a lower weight? Hmmm, ok....thanks!

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Yes, and not necessarily. [​IMG]

If the current owner hasn't taken care of the ruptures, you will need to get them stitched.

It is *possible* that they will have a relapse, but chances are good that they won't, and you can take them to full butcher size.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well, these are coming from a large hog farm. They give away the "culls" I doubt they have been stitched...hmmmm. Thanks. I might need to look into it more...they said I can have all I wanted...free.

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I would do it...another reason they cant keep them is they cant run them in the feed lot with the rest as the other pigs will start to chew on the area,and kill the pig anyway...but you should be fine running 2-4 in a pen to raise for yourselves..hog farms are just not set up to keep a few here and there..its more work then its worth for them

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks everyone, I Guess I will just get a few, and see how it goes. Free cant be beat! I just dont want them to be suffering, ya know? When I get them I will get pics. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by