Feeders in coop???

roosterslayeggs, idk about anyone else, but those 2 do not look the same age....the one you're unsure of the sex, It looks like a hen to me because I don't see any saddle feathers or large curly tail feathers, also it's comb and wattles still look pretty small...but it's still hard to tell this early...how old is it?

EggressiveAli, I don't put food in my coop mostly because it is too small, but the door is always down so mine also can come and go as late/early as they please. I will also say I know plenty of folks who feed their chickens once in the morning and once at night and their chickens are fine and don't starve. I think you will be okay, but if you put feed and water in the coop I agree with what others say...it needs to be in a spot they won't poo in it and they will either need to be able to see it with a little light or it will need to be in a spot where the morning light will illuminate it.

Blondiebee101 they were hatched on same day that's what I'm worried abt and abt 8 weeks old! Thanks for the advice

This is my first year with chickens too, but I've been keeping the food in the coop to protect it from predators, but the water I keep in the run to keep the coop dry. I used to have it in the coop, but no matter what I did, they managed to spill the water into the bedding. Messy! So I moved just the water outside. Seems to be working beautifully! The girls are generally roosted up at night anyway, so they dont need water overnight. I intend to keep the water outside even in the winter with a heated waterer.

Back
Top Bottom