Feeding and Bears

bangarain

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2015
Vermont
Hello! My girls are almost ready to move outside, but the one thing we’re struggling with is the potential black bear issue. I wanted to find a mess-free feeder and offer feed outside of the coop (we will be free ranging) and take up the feeders at night, but I’m unsure if this or scheduled feeding would work better. I’ve always offered free choice feed, but this is the first time I’ve had chickens in bear country. While I know feed should never be left in the coop, I’m unsure whether feed should be left out at all!
While we haven’t had an issue with a bear on our property yet, we know of one that lives down the road, and we certainly don’t want to attract him here.

I would not leave chicken feed laying around, as it encourages wild birds and rats, as well as anything bigger. I offer feed for 20 mins or less when my flock leave the coop in the morning, and 20 mins or less just before they go to roost. Free-ranging chickens will forage the rest of their food during the day, if the environment they are in is adequate for their needs, with no mess and no waste.

I leave a free choice feeder in my coop all the time with no issues. Any feed will attract bears by its scent and so will your birds. Bears are a common occurrence on our land and we have had a few attept to investigate my coop but none have been determined enough to get in.
Eventually, the bears will smell your birds and come to investigate regardless of what you do. Keep the feed in containers locked up in a garage, shed, etc. Feed the birds a set amount so they eat it all and leave none behind, place a feeder in a secure coop, or use a timed feeder that is hung a min. Of 9ft off the ground.

I’ve always offered free choice feed, but this is the first time I’ve had chickens in bear country. While I know feed should never be left in the coop, I’m unsure whether feed should be left out at all!
While we haven’t had an issue with a bear on our property yet, we know of one that lives down the road, and we certainly don’t want to attract him here.
He will be attracted to the chickens, no matter what you do about the feed.

And dry chicken feed does not have a very strong smell, as compared with the smell of the chicken themselves.

So whether you leave the food in the pen or not, I'm guessing it won't make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom