Feeding baby peachicks...

Smittenroade

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
North East Texas
I have found it's really annoying getting peachicks to eat their crumbles! I'm feeding them lettuce/cabbage and my chickens eggs...any tricks to help them understand that crumbles are good to eat? lol I'll figure it out eventually...

if you have any chicks to put in with them that works real good we do it for the first 2 to 3 days.also try to sprinkle in on the bottom of the brooder they seem to perfer to eat of the ground

Quote:
Yea, thats what I've been doing, sprinkling it on the ground....lol the only time I don't have baby chicks
roll.png
I just spent about 10 min out there feeding them crumbles out of my hand and tapping with my finger on the ground. Ah well, they'll get it eventually.

We raise French Marans. We have Black Coppers, Blue/Blue Coppers, Splash, Cuckoos, and a few Whites. They come here knowing how to eat. I am really glad that I had seen on BYC that peachicks needed a little help in that department. Mine would have probably starved to death because I would have expected them to eat without help. Mine are all doing fine, but I did have to teach them to eat starter.

I thought that you might be passing through the neighborhood in the next day or two.

Ernie

Maybe they're just liking the "treats" better than the regular meal - you know, just like kids. I like to feed mine crumbles only until they are a little older, that way I know they are getting the right nutrients.

Some people say if you get the crumbles a little wet then they like it better. My peachick likes them dry and pecking at the food should work, I also put some of the food in my hand and the peachick pecks at that. Don't feed them too much egg or they will get runny poo.
wink.png

Is it even safe to put baby chicks in there with them for a couple weeks to show them how to eat? I went up to my local chicken breeder, grabbed 2 chicks and threw them in the brooder with them....I hope they will be alright. I'll seperate them right after they show them how to eat.

Back
Top Bottom