Feeding cat food?

equitationbound

Chirping
Jul 19, 2014
SoCal
Hi, this may be a silly question, but I figured I'd ask!
We have three cats, and they will only eat one particular type of cat food (grilled fancy feast), and it has to be grilled, not the 'classic'! (So diva!)
Anyways, my mom had a coupon for friskies wet food so she bought it and figured we'd try to feed them that. Well, the cats won't touch that, so now we have a whole box of it lying around.
Is it ok to give the chickens a can of it? It wouldn't be everyday, it would maybe be once every couple weeks or so.
They have started molting so they could probably use the extra protein as well.
Thanks!

As a occasional treat to boost protein is alright. My chickens go to the porch where I feed my cats and scour it, looking for the cat food.

occasional bits of cat food would be ok...other options besides feeding to chickens:

1. mix a little with the feed your cats like,...it will take some fiddling around but would be worth it. It is kind of scary to have your cats limiting themselves to one specific kind of cat food because it might not always be available. So even if you weren't having the whole carton of cans to deal with, I'ld be working with the cats to get them used to other feed.
So, this extra feed is a great way to do it. Start by adding just a titch of the friskies and mix it in. gradually increase til you are half and half, and then try straight friskies. If they won't take it, go back to the half and half mix and keep increasing it a bit.

2. Your local animal shelter will love the donation of the cat food.

Thanks for the advice!
It's only wet food they're picky with, they'll eat any type of dry food, it's weird.
And why didn't I think of the shelter?! Duh!

Back
Top Bottom