Feeding chick Veggies

Jh2Owen

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2017
I'd like to give my chicks a nice treat.

How big of pieces should I give them? Carrots for example - Should I chop them up small or just give them the whole carrot to peck at?

Thanks!

Do we have a list here somewhere for what is good to give?
I have some fresh pineapple rinds and some fresh cabbage, and didn't know if either would be good for them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the "Treats Chart." Also look at the bottom for things to avoid.

My chicks didn't know what to do with a tomato other than "walk all over it." However, they inhaled grapes, love lettuce, and will play with the core from bell peppers. When we prepare a salad, all of the veggie scraps go to the chicks.

Mine love pineapple. Just like children you have to expose them to a variety of fruits and vegetables. They will pick at them and think about it. They'll try it a few times before they decide it's the best thing ever.

Mine will run-away from "the new thing" for a while, until one gets brave and checks it out. Did that with some mushrooms I quartered and put in the brooder.

If you want to see a chicken-stampede - mealworms.

I gave them some lettuce last night and they LOVED it. Loretta (momma hen) ran over first and when the chicks were coming up she was barking at them too back off. I was nervous she would get angry and peck them but she must've been just checking it out b/c she then started to rip it apart and give it to the chick. I'm soooo in love with them!! Why have I never had chickens before.

Back
Top Bottom