Feeding chick Veggies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jh2Owen, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Jh2Owen

Jh2Owen Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    I'd like to give my chicks a nice treat.

How big of pieces should I give them? Carrots for example - Should I chop them up small or just give them the whole carrot to peck at?

Thanks!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I wouldn't start with carrots. Not a favorite. Give them a piece of lettuce (they will tear it up) or a handful of peas or a slice of apple. Something soft.

1 person likes this.
  3. harleydee

harleydee Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    Do we have a list here somewhere for what is good to give?
    I have some fresh pineapple rinds and some fresh cabbage, and didn't know if either would be good for them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Check out the "Treats Chart." Also look at the bottom for things to avoid.

My chicks didn't know what to do with a tomato other than "walk all over it." However, they inhaled grapes, love lettuce, and will play with the core from bell peppers. When we prepare a salad, all of the veggie scraps go to the chicks.

5. harleydee

harleydee Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    Thank you, I made a copy of that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Mine love pineapple. Just like children you have to expose them to a variety of fruits and vegetables. They will pick at them and think about it. They'll try it a few times before they decide it's the best thing ever.

7. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Mine will run-away from "the new thing" for a while, until one gets brave and checks it out. Did that with some mushrooms I quartered and put in the brooder.

If you want to see a chicken-stampede - mealworms.

8. Jh2Owen

Jh2Owen Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    I gave them some lettuce last night and they LOVED it. Loretta (momma hen) ran over first and when the chicks were coming up she was barking at them too back off. I was nervous she would get angry and peck them but she must've been just checking it out b/c she then started to rip it apart and give it to the chick. I'm soooo in love with them!! Why have I never had chickens before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by