Feeding chicken livers to chickens?

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll pass on the livers for my babies!
smile.png
yesss.gif

Cheers!

I've fed them to mine, and will continue to do so. I don't like them, they do, and they couldn't care less where they came from, any more than they'll turn down chopped hard boiled eggs out of some sense of propriety. Of course they don't get them "all the time"......but as a treat every once in awhile, especially chopped up on days like this, when it's 20 below zero, and mixed in with suet as an occasional boredom buster and protein and fat boost.

Well, we were all taught something different.....When it is cold, the last thing I do is change diet or anything else...I will not take the chance during a stressful period to change feed....

Anyways a very wide view on Chicken keeping........

Cheers!

Please permit me to inject my two cents. I read every post with the stated reasons why the posters believe it's a bad idea to give chicken livers to chickens, and there was only one reason offered that had any validity. That was that liver has high iron content. But that isn't really of much concern since you aren't feeding chicken livers as a routine. It would be in the context of an occasional treat, and the iron would make very little if any difference in your flock's diet over the long haul.

Of course, we each have our "ick"
sickbyc.gif
limits. We're entitled to that. But I require a little more science than what I've been offered in this thread as to why it's not good to feed chicken livers to chickens.

If I happened to eat meat on a regular basis (which I don't) and I had a chicken I was cooking, I'd certainly have no misgivings about boiling up the liver and gizzard and chopping them up, and watching my chickens joyfully and eagerly gobble them up.

Please permit me to inject my two cents. I read every post with the stated reasons why the posters believe it's a bad idea to give chicken livers to chickens, and there was only one reason offered that had any validity. That was that liver has high iron content. But that isn't really of much concern since you aren't feeding chicken livers as a routine. It would be in the context of an occasional treat, and the iron would make very little if any difference in your flock's diet over the long haul.

Of course, we each have our "ick"
sickbyc.gif
limits. We're entitled to that. But I require a little more science than what I've been offered in this thread as to why it's not good to feed chicken livers to chickens.

If I happened to eat meat on a regular basis (which I don't) and I had a chicken I was cooking, I'd certainly have no misgivings about boiling up the liver and gizzard and chopping them up, and watching my chickens joyfully and eagerly gobble them up.
I am not sure?...That may have cost you 5 Cents?........lol.......
gig.gif

Anyways...does not matter....

Cheers!

Agree with @azygous .I will say this again they eat each other in the wild.I give my chickens chicken carcass and they love it
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom