Feeding chickens corn

digger MN

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
I got some corn the other day and gave some to the chickens. This will not hurt the laying will it? It is kernel corn. I need every egg I can get right now so I don't want to horse the laying up. Thank you for help

A little corn now and then will not hurt production, I give mine (15 hens, 3 roos) a pound of grain that is 1/2 cracked corn and 1/2 feed wheat, several times a week. I get 10-12 eggs a day most of the time.

More than likely the number one ingredient in the feed you are feeding now is Corn. An extra handful is not going to hurt anything.

We try not to feed treats like corn, scraps, veggies, etc. at more than 10% their regular daily diet and mid day only. This works well for us and we have great egg production and nice healthy hens.

Hi from Ga. We give all are chickens and turkeys cracked corn every morning as scratch feed. Needless to say they look forward to it.
big_smile.png

If you're feeding a decent layer ration in the 15-16% protein range then about a half a hand full of corn per bird per day won't hurt anything.

If maximum egg production is important to you then I would not feed any more than that.

Here in Brazil just about all we feed them is corn....what are you all feeding your flock? I'm very interested, since I didn't know there was something else. We do some veggie scraps, but not too many treats.

Are your birds free ranging? That can make all the difference particularly in a climate where you don't have to worry about winter die off.

Here in the States we feed a poultry ration that is blended to provide the right amount of necessary amino acids (protein), vitamins, and minerals, particularly calcium. Many folks cannot allow their birds to free range so they have to provide the birds nutrition for them. Even the ones that can free range still have to do this in the winter or drought times when there is little for the birds to forage for themselves. This is if you want to maintain good egg production.

Yes, they are free-range. But it's a pretty paltry area- not much green- but lots of bugs and an occasional cockroach. I wonder fi we should be supplementing with something else? How would I know? Our egg production is fine. About 1-2 eggs a day from each hen.

Yes, they are free-range. But it's a pretty paltry area- not much green- but lots of bugs and an occasional cockroach. I wonder if we should be supplementing with something else? How would I know? Our egg production is fine. About 1-2 eggs a day from each hen. And we'rein the tropics- 90 degrees all year round.

Back
Top Bottom