Feeding chickens

Ahunt59686

Chirping
6 Years
May 18, 2017
Dutchess County NY
Ok haven't had my girls a week yet but really love having them. Can't believe I waited 40+ years to get some layers.

Their run has water and organic feed in it all the time.

In the morning before work I let them out to range a bit and throw some scratch. Then they get locked into the run/coop for the day.

When I get home from work I let them out to range and throw some scratch, meal worms and produce (grapes, strawberries, apples).

Is this enough since they have access to their pellets all the time?

Ok haven't had my girls a week yet but really love having them. Can't believe I waited 40+ years to get some layers.

In the morning before work I let them out to range a bit and throw some scratch. Then they get locked into the run/coop for the day.

When I get home from work I let them out to range and throw some scratch, meal worms and produce (grapes, strawberries, apples).

The mainstay of their diet should be their feed (organic here too) ... forage is ALSO the best thing you can do! Don't overdo the treats (like I do :/) ... I would tend away from apples, unless you remove all of the seeds. Mine tend not to dig on fruit that much (except they LOVE bananas!)

Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken raising!
You are going to want to make sure they aren't eating too much "junk food".
Please read this article so you understand why: FEEDING CHICKENS

Printed the article I think I may be providing too many treats (apples, grapes etc.) I will cut back on those. They just get so excited to get those little grapes, strawberries etc. that it's easy to give them more than I should. Thanks everyone!

Printed the article I think I may be providing too many treats (apples, grapes etc.) I will cut back on those. They just get so excited to get those little grapes, strawberries etc. that it's easy to give them more than I should. Thanks everyone!
Great job!
:thumbsup
I am so glad you read it and learned something!

I feed my chickens crumble and cracked corn, and then they are free range all day. We have trained our chickens to follow us to the grain bin, and they will get corn. I have heard its not good to overdo the scratch, but I think the produce is fine. Our chickens have access to our kitchen scraps at all times, and we don't remove the apple seeds. Haven't had any ever get sick, but Im not saying they won't. Also, I think chickens are smart enough not to swallow grapes whole. Whenever you feed stuff to chickens that is too big, they will break it up before swallowing. Just my advice!

Also, I think chickens are smart enough not to swallow grapes whole. Whenever you feed stuff to chickens that is too big, they will break it up before swallowing.

Maybe they'll do that with grapes, but anything leafy with longer stalks should be broken up. If I hand out carrot fronds or parsley, my girls WILL try to greedily swallow an entire stalk at once if they can yank them out of my hands.

Back
Top Bottom