1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ahunt59686, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Ahunt59686

Ahunt59686 Just Hatched

May 18, 2017
    Dutchess County NY
    Ok haven't had my girls a week yet but really love having them. Can't believe I waited 40+ years to get some layers.

Their run has water and organic feed in it all the time.

In the morning before work I let them out to range a bit and throw some scratch. Then they get locked into the run/coop for the day.

When I get home from work I let them out to range and throw some scratch, meal worms and produce (grapes, strawberries, apples).

Is this enough since they have access to their pellets all the time?

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

That's all fine for your hens

3. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    The mainstay of their diet should be their feed (organic here too) ... forage is ALSO the best thing you can do! Don't overdo the treats (like I do :/) ... I would tend away from apples, unless you remove all of the seeds. Mine tend not to dig on fruit that much (except they LOVE bananas!)

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken raising!
    You are going to want to make sure they aren't eating too much "junk food".
    Please read this article so you understand why: FEEDING CHICKENS

Mace Gill likes this.
  5. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Also, make sure you cut the grapes in half. It makes it easier for them to eat, because whole grapes are too big to swallow.

6. Ahunt59686

Ahunt59686 Just Hatched

May 18, 2017
    Dutchess County NY
    Printed the article I think I may be providing too many treats (apples, grapes etc.) I will cut back on those. They just get so excited to get those little grapes, strawberries etc. that it's easy to give them more than I should. Thanks everyone!

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Great job!
    :thumbsup
    I am so glad you read it and learned something!

8. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2017
    US
    I feed my chickens crumble and cracked corn, and then they are free range all day. We have trained our chickens to follow us to the grain bin, and they will get corn. I have heard its not good to overdo the scratch, but I think the produce is fine. Our chickens have access to our kitchen scraps at all times, and we don't remove the apple seeds. Haven't had any ever get sick, but Im not saying they won't. Also, I think chickens are smart enough not to swallow grapes whole. Whenever you feed stuff to chickens that is too big, they will break it up before swallowing. Just my advice!

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Maybe they'll do that with grapes, but anything leafy with longer stalks should be broken up. If I hand out carrot fronds or parsley, my girls WILL try to greedily swallow an entire stalk at once if they can yank them out of my hands.

10. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2017
    US
    Wow! I hadn't ever heard of that! Maybe it's just because my chickens have access to the stuff all the time, that it's not such a big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by