Feeding day olds, I got the wrong food!

Miss prissy, I'm probably wrong, all I know is what I read on here. I figured mash would be smaller than crumbles. So I thought I got the wrong stuff. Anyway I put about a cup of it, through the food processer. So I'll just give them that for the fist couple of days.

I have a little chick feeder, should I use that for the first couple of days? Or sprinkle the food on the floor of the brooder, so they can find it easer?

This is a little confusing, did you buy adult layer crumbles or chick starter crumbles?

If it was chick starter crumbles, they can eat it from day one without a problem.

If it was adult layer crumbles you can put it in a processer and get most of it chopped small enough for them, just strain it to keep the bigger hunks out. (We did this a couple of years ago with our first chick because we didn't know better, he's now ruler of the flock) that will get you through until you can get chick starter.

It is chicken starter.

I just thought it would be finer. Mash sounds finer to me than crumbs.

It came in a brown paper bag marked 'starter'. The feed store breaks it up into smaller portions, that way.

It should be just fine to feed them.
smile.png

Chick starter is made for chicks. You don't need to grind it up. They will gobble it down. Keep their feeder full and plenty of fresh water for them. Everything will be just fine. You'll think you got box of little hogs instead of some little peeps. LOL

Back
Top Bottom