Feeding ducks

fosterchick

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
East Hampton, Connecticut
How often should you feed ducks? My chickens i have a hanging feeder, so they eat when they want. I also let the chickens, and ducks free range. Should I let the ducks eat at will out of a hanger or feed them daily?

Thanks, Rachel

I've always fed my ducks free choice from a rangr feeder. It doesn't stop them from foraging in the slightest. The only thing to be careful of is if you are using layer ration. I'd google and double check that all that calcium won't harm the waterfowl. Also, my ducks and geese always have access to grit and all the trimming from our leafy vegetables. They go ape over lettuces.

I too feed the ducks free choice- and they continue to range. Snails and slugs are a rarity since we got the ducks.

What ducks need that is additional is water that is deep enough to dunk their heads in....at all times. You'll see when they eat feed, they'll go back and forth between the water and the feed....makes a mess of the water, so chickens get a waterer that ducks can't really get their bills into so they can have clean water.

Female ducks need the calcium just like chickens.

I put oyster shell out for them too..just like chickens.

Back
Top Bottom