feeding egg shells

I use the microwave, I tried the oven the first time and they burned...I have found if I use the microwave it is quick and easy. It dries them out so they can be crushed more easily. I don't wash them out first. The girls love it.

Everyone has their own method, they all seem to work. Mine, which I got from here, is to save em up in a small coffee container in the fridge, crushing them in till I get it full. Then, spread them out on some tinfoil on a cookie sheet and bake at 240 degrees for 40 minutes. I then usually just let the oven cool down with the shells still inside. Once cool, drop the now very brittle shells into the blender and chop em up into tiny bits. It all then gets dumped into the rabbit feeder in the coop for the girls to have at their leisure.

I'm obviously the odd ball here. When I crack and egg or peel a boiled egg, the shell goes as is into a container that gets emptied on the compost heap along with the other kitchen scraps. The chickens pick through that and eat what they like. Usually they leave the egg shells behind. They also don't eat much of the oyster shell I offer on the side and the egg shells are still fine.

I empty that container daily. If you store them longer than that, I'd think you'd need to do something different due to the smell.

I'd think that membrane inside the shell is mostly protein. Whatever it is, it obviously contains stuff they need to make eggs. I would not remove that.

Last edited:
I used to keep a colander on the counter and placed the empties there. After getting a full container and with the egg shells being dry, I'd put them in a Walmart bag, smash them with my hands, place them in the feeder along with the daily rations.

I'm really glad I read this...I was told not to feed the egg shells to my birds because it would encourage bad behaviors such as pecking at their eggs?? So it is totally safe to feed them the egg shells?

I save up the egg shells in a container that is kept in the freezer. When it's full up, I sit it on the counter to thaw just a bit and then I just smash the shells with a heavy wooden spoon.

Quote:
I've never had that problem. The one egg eater I had learned by eating eggs that were laid on the roost and cracked when it hit the floor.

I do think crushing the egg shells is a reasonable precaution.

Back
Top Bottom