feeding egg shells

I just air dry them, crush them, then take them to the run and feed it to them. They love it and it doesn't last very long!
lol.png

This is very intersting. My mother-in-law just told me to feed my ladies their egg shells and I thought she was kidding. So why do you feed them egg shells? Also, I was afraid it would teach them to eat eggs but sounds like I was wrong about that.

I never think of just giving them the eggs shells. If I get a cracked or otherwise questionable egg when I'm collecting, I just throw it out on the cement (it's a patch of cement that I give them all their treats on) and they run over and share it. They've only ever gotten 3 or 4 between them all.

Quote:
If your girls just eat layer feed then they probably get enough calcium from their feed and you don't need a supplement. However, if they free range or eat lots of "treats" then most people give them extra calcium (for strong eggshells) in the form of oyster shell or their own crushed eggshells.

I don't rinse or cook mine. Just let them collect in a container until they're dry and then let my son crush them to bits. Maybe if he gets tired of it I'll start using a blender. It won't damage the blade?

I had read an article somewhere that feeding raw eggs to chickens would give them a desire to peck the eggs in the nest box and start them eating their own eggs.

We had a Buckeye hen that ate her own eggs and in order to get her egg we had to check the nest box often.

So, we wash out the eggs and bake them in the oven around 250 to 350 for about 10 to 15 minutes. Was told that changes the taste of the egg. I guess this would also kill any bacteria that would be one them as well.

I hand crush them and mix with their feed. They love it and actually will pick through the feed to get to the egg shells.

The article also said to remove the membrane but I rarely ever do that.

The chickens will follow me all over the yard as I am feeding and jump into the feed bucket for a ride while they peck through the feed finding the egg shells. They will fight over the egg shells.

Great way to give calcium to them for free!

I must be the laziest and most ignorant person here. Anytime I use eggs, I crumble the shells in my hand, walk out the door, and call the girls.

Second laziest. I don't take them out till I'm heading to the run to feed them in the morning.
lol.png
I sit them in a bowl on the counter, and then they usually get mixed in with the girls breakfast of oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce and what ever else is around from the day before.​

Back
Top Bottom