feeding egg shells

I've never even consider baking the shells. Mine pulls up their noses for any other kitchen scraps but really enjoy the crushed in my hand eggshells

Me lazy too. When I gave them eggshells I rinsed them and crushed them in
my hand as I walked out and threw them on the compost pile, membrane still
holding the broken pieces together. No trace after two days. But my chickens,
like my children, are all geniuses.

How much prep does an eggshell need to be given to a creature that swallows rocks?

For long-term storage I bake them and then grind them into a powder. Good for the chickens and all my other animals as well. Just to feed the chickens fresh, I smash the crap outta them and just toss them into their food. I don't wash or bake them to feed them fresh.

I wash out the membrane air dry them and put um in a bread bag 'till I have enough to grind into a powder with an old "recycled coffee grinder". Then into a baggy that I label clearly. I don't want anyone thinking that it's something that they can put up their nose! I use it in "wet feed" or "mush" they never know it's there. I also sprinkle it into potting mix for a little more calcium.
Charlie

lol.png
yuckyuck.gif

I let mine dry out overnight on the stove as they crumble easier than.

Afterwards they are crushed and added to just about anything.

I leave mine out in the sun in the warmer months and set them in a pan on the wood stove in the cooler months. The drier they are the easier they are to crush. I don't wash them unless the shells are really nasty dirty.

Back
Top Bottom