Feeding goats Pellets vs hay, or hay and pellets

lilcheeks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Byron Center, MI
I have two goats (wethers) that both 5 months old, one is a Nigerian Dwarf and the other a Pygmy. I am trying to figure out the best way to feed them and the more research I do the more confused I get. Here is what I am doing currently.

-1 cup each of Purina Noble Goat (half in morning and half at night)
-Free Choice Kent Minerals
-Free Choice Alfalfa hay mix
-Pasture Weeds/grass all day (52'x60' pasture for the two of them)

Now, I know goats waste hay, but these two are wasting at least half their hay daily. I have some storage available but can't imagine what I would do in the winter (in Michigan) if they go through a bale of hay in a week now.

So my questions are:

-Can I do just hay pellets if they are eating in the pasture? Or can I do a mix of Hay and pellets?
-What type of pellets should I be feeding wethers? alfalfa pellets or timothy grass? Or mix the two?
-How much pellets should I feed if I do only pellets or if I do a mix of hay and pellets?

Thank you so much, hopefully I will get some clarity on this. I feel like every article I find it says that wethers shouldn't have alfalfa but then another says they need it. I just want to know what successful goat people are doing. Thanks!

I have two goats (wethers) that both 5 months old, one is a Nigerian Dwarf and the other a Pygmy. I am trying to figure out the best way to feed them and the more research I do the more confused I get. Here is what I am doing currently.

-1 cup each of Purina Noble Goat (half in morning and half at night)
-Free Choice Kent Minerals
-Free Choice Alfalfa hay mix
-Pasture Weeds/grass all day (52'x60' pasture for the two of them)

Now, I know goats waste hay, but these two are wasting at least half their hay daily. I have some storage available but can't imagine what I would do in the winter (in Michigan) if they go through a bale of hay in a week now.

So my questions are:

-Can I do just hay pellets if they are eating in the pasture? Or can I do a mix of Hay and pellets?
-What type of pellets should I be feeding wethers? alfalfa pellets or timothy grass? Or mix the two?
-How much pellets should I feed if I do only pellets or if I do a mix of hay and pellets?

Thank you so much, hopefully I will get some clarity on this. I feel like every article I find it says that wethers shouldn't have alfalfa but then another says they need it. I just want to know what successful goat people are doing. Thanks!

Goats always need long stem hay available, especially in the winter. In the summer, it is good to get a bit in the morning before grazing because if they fill out on dewy, wet grass, it can lead to pasture (frothy) bloat. Hay is critical for proper digestion and rumen health. To reduce your hay waste, build a hay feeder that doesn't allow them to pull out massive globs of hay. That way, they don't drop half of it on the floor as they chew. If they can only pull out a few strands at a time, most of what they grab actually does down their gobs!

I have six Nigerian Dwarf goats and I go through a bale a week during the summer, closer to two in the winter (as they have no browse then).

As whether your wethers need alfalfa, it depends on who you ask As long as they are eating a diet where calcium and phosphorus is balanced to reduce urinary stone formation, it is fine in my opinion. They might start getting very fat though, once they are done physically growing (which will be a while). That is one reason why wethers often get less food once mature. Unlike bucks in rut expending energy, or does who are pregnant or lactating expending energy, wethers don't really have much going on other than playing, sleeping, and eating and they can get hugely overweight!

Goats always need long stem hay available, especially in the winter. In the summer, it is good to get a bit in the morning before grazing because if they fill out on dewy, wet grass, it can lead to pasture (frothy) bloat. Hay is critical for proper digestion and rumen health. To reduce your hay waste, build a hay feeder that doesn't allow them to pull out massive globs of hay. That way, they don't drop half of it on the floor as they chew. If they can only pull out a few strands at a time, most of what they grab actually does down their gobs!

I have six Nigerian Dwarf goats and I go through a bale a week during the summer, closer to two in the winter (as they have no browse then).

As whether your wethers need alfalfa, it depends on who you ask As long as they are eating a diet where calcium and phosphorus is balanced to reduce urinary stone formation, it is fine in my opinion. They might start getting very fat though, once they are done physically growing (which will be a while). That is one reason why wethers often get less food once mature. Unlike bucks in rut expending energy, or does who are pregnant or lactating expending energy, wethers don't really have much going on other than playing, sleeping, and eating and they can get hugely overweight!

I am currently using hay feeders like you would see in a horse stall, so I will try to add some fencing to the inside to reduce how much falls out. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom