Feeding my birds COYOTE meat

hitnspit

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
New Haven, Vermont
Ok so we have plenty of coyotes around here this time of the year. Looking to put them to good use if I were to kill them. I know animal protein is wonderful for the birds. Would coyote meat be the same.?

I'd imagine so. A crow will eat a dead coyote, and a chicken's system can't be that much different. We don't shoot coyotes, but do feed our birds meat scraps from hunting or processing farm animals. Never had any issues except being rushed when entering the coop
lol.png

Coyotes are like bears and raccoons.. Full of parasites. Which then will be transmitted to your chickens when they eat the raw meat.

Last edited:
Coyotes are like bears and raccoons.. Full of parasites. Which then will be transmitted to your chickens when they eat the raw meat.
I've got to believe the birds have a built in method to deal with this. All carnivores and omnivores eat raw meat except humans. If this is true, then why aren't all the crows and buzzards dead of parasite overlaods?

I've got to believe the birds have a built in method to deal with this. All carnivores and omnivores eat raw meat except humans. If this is true, then why aren't all the crows and buzzards dead of parasite overlaods?

It likely won't kill your birds. I mean if you plan to eat your birds later down the road that's something that you might not want to feed your chickens.

It likely won't kill your birds. I mean if you plan to eat your birds later down the road that's something that you might not want to feed your chickens.

The number of parasites that can transmit from mammal flesh (especially mammals that aren't prey animals) to bird flesh via the bird's digestive tract can probably be counted on one hand.

If your birds are free ranging, or out in large areas, they're already eating mice, snakes, lizards, frogs, and anything else they can catch. These birds are not herbivores.

I couldn't find nutrition data for coyote, but bear is about 30% protein by weight - which is about what gamebird food is. If you fed your chickens nothing but coyote, it'd be a problem, but as an occasional thing, it's not going to do anything worse than the vegetable scraps people love to feed (Kale is about 2-3% protein)

Back
Top Bottom