Feeding my girls properly when they first start laying. A few questions

Linda Hawkins

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Good morning BYC friends, I have two questions, My girls are starting to lay, and my RIR are now laying. One started Mid December, but the rest of them, (10) did not start producing, started 3 weeks ago. Upon my communication there are a couple of tidbits of information that have been offered me. I was told to give them Alfalfa seed, that will make the eggs taste wonderful, and the most recent to give them pepper seed cyan (SP?), and the sort. I was told that this will make their laying more consistent in size, etc. The first suggestion: Since most of the time it is suggested to sprout the seeds, does it matter if one sprouts the seeds? Will Alfalfa add to the flavor of an egg? Second suggestion: this one scares me, but I want to bring it to the thread, just for curiosity. I believe I remember peppers can be given to chickens. I know what the heat does to me, so that kind of frightens me. Any feedback will be valued.
Also last question, I thought molting is when the chicken looses the down and gets in their permanent feathers. Is this correct? I am reading Where it sounds like molting happens in chickens, of laying age? This confuses me.....

About feeding: they do not NEED any of those things. A good complete chicken feed, all the water they want, and a separate dish of oyster shell are enough. The extra things you mention will probably not be a problem if you choose to do them anyway.

Also last question, I thought molting is when the chicken looses the down and gets in their permanent feathers. Is this correct? I am reading Where it sounds like molting happens in chickens, of laying age? This confuses me.....

Molting is when a chicken loses its old feathers and grows new ones.

This happens several times as chicks grow.

After they are grown up, chickens usually molt once each year, in the fall. (Exceptions: some molt an extra time, some molt in summer or winter instead of fall.)

When adult hens molt, they usually quit laying eggs during that time. Some start laying again right after they finish molting, while others take a break all winter and start laying again in the spring.

My Husband delivered in some of the bigger Feed mills here around . I know that's all legit and every ingredients has his purpose, but I can't bring myself to eat the eggs when I know the farmer feed the Feed

My Husband delivered in some of the bigger Feed mills here around . I know that's all legit and every ingredients has his purpose, but I can't bring myself to eat the eggs when I know the farmer feed the Feed

If a chicken needs all those things, I don't see what difference if would make to mix it yourself instead of buying it already mixed. :confused:

If a chicken needs all those things, I don't see what difference if would make to mix it yourself instead of buying it already mixed. :confused:
Price is the difference. You'll never, ever be able to compete with the bulk grain price that feed manufacturers pay. Not unless you're willing to buy 1000+ pounds of each of corn, soy, peas, lentils, oats, etc.. You'll also never be able to formulate the recipe to meet the nutritional needs of a chicken as effectively as a feed manufacturer.

If you don't believe me, I created a recipe calculator to calculate the protein and fat of various feed combinations for chicken feed. This does no account for fiber or any other micronutrient which is also essential. The calculator also calculates prices based on bulk grains (bulk for a single consumer) sourced from within the US at the lowest price I could find at the time of research.

If you choose to use this, read the directions CAREFULLY. You do not request access to edit the document!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DxeUae1W26xYIwcXiKkQTe5PHxjrfVZcAERBvHtwGZ4/edit?usp=sharing

Back
Top Bottom