Feeding my girls

Feathered friends

In the Brooder
May 15, 2018
Hi,I have an area of approx 2 acres which my 14 hens free range,whilst still confined by a fence.They have access to grass and insects etc etc as we are on an acreage.I feed my girls a mix of Mons high energy layer pellets mixed with peckish layer mix which is like a scratch mix with sunflower seeds etc etc in it.My question is,is it enough for them to just have the high energy layer pellet?I really only mix in the other mix for some variety.They also get whatever scraps I have and some porridge every now and then.Thanks all

I suspect the peckish is not a layer feed and only scratch grains. If it is only grains/seeds, I wouldn't mix them but toss them on the ground to satisfy the hens' need to scratch.

Otherwise, it depends on the ingredients and analysis of the high energy pellets. What is the protein % and calcium % of the feed in question.

Hi,I don't have a bag on hand,but am off to get some today.Its pretty high it's either 18 or 17 per cent protein and calcium I will have to look when I buy some today.Peckish is a free range layer mix with 14 per cent protein and is a whole and cracked grain mix.I was thinking of giving them the higher protein mix in the mornings and the other mix in the afternoon.Mons says it's a complete meal and I was only really giving them the peckish for a few differant grains.Will let you know calcium content later today.Thanks for your reply.

Feeding just layer pellets should be fine. I do two different feeds (pellet + whole grain mash) as well, since the chickens seem to enjoy it, but they'd be perfectly fine with just the pelleted feed.

Hi,I don't have a bag on hand,but am off to get some today.Its pretty high it's either 18 or 17 per cent protein and calcium I will have to look when I buy some today.Peckish is a free range layer mix with 14 per cent protein and is a whole and cracked grain mix.I was thinking of giving them the higher protein mix in the mornings and the other mix in the afternoon.Mons says it's a complete meal and I was only really giving them the peckish for a few differant grains.Will let you know calcium content later today.Thanks for your reply.
Hi,the protein is 17 per cent and calcium is 3.8 percent sorry for delay in andwering

Feeding just layer pellets should be fine. I do two different feeds (pellet + whole grain mash) as well, since the chickens seem to enjoy it, but they'd be perfectly fine with just the pelleted feed.
Thanks,I think I am just

Thanks for your reply,I think I am just spoiling them lol.I have two geese and two ducks in with them,so they seem to like the other mix.Then a lot of free loaders arrive such as wild ducks and our Tasmanian native hens.Plus now a lone peacock who has wandered in.Anyway thanks for your reply

I also have been mixing both feeds together so as to make it last a bit longer.They seem happy with it mixed and lay eggs the same.Trial and error I guess.As long as they are happy that's the main thing.

Back
Top Bottom