Feeding Organic?

I find that anything organic wether its chickens or veggies is too much work and expense and not enough reward.

Achickenwrangler#1 :

I don't think the farmers who grow this stuff dump any more chemicals on their fields than they have to...I think they are trying to grow a top quality grain as cheaply as possible, and I don't think they are getting rich off it either.

I have talked to some farmers around me and all they care about is getting the highest yield out of the field. They think GMO is great stuff and organic is just a waste of time.
sad.png

Of course a traditional agribusiness farmer loves GMO they can dump roundup all over the crop and reduce weeds increasing yields. That doesn't make it good for the soil, the water, the other animals or the end user. I make this decision as a consumer not a farmer.

If I can find/afford organic for some things, I will buy organic. But for the most part, I can neither afford it or find it.

Personally, I am generally more concerned with supporting local rather than agribusiness, for two reasons. First, the more I can support local businesses, that has an impact on me and my family, my businesses, my school system, etc. Second, buying local means that product A spent a lot less time/money/resources to get to me - and therefore has a better chance of avoiding contamination and retains more of its nutritional properties. And it was more likely (not guaranteed, but a better chance) of being grown using sustainable practices.

I drive an hour to get my organic layer feed but I also plan to get it when I am getting other stuff to make the most out of the trip. I have tried all local places and nobody near me even sells non GMO anything. I have read that the GMO corn had a fraction of the protein and other nutrients that heirloom does.

Quote:
I have talked to some farmers around me and all they care about is getting the highest yield out of the field. They think GMO is great stuff and organic is just a waste of time.
sad.png

Exactly. That is what scares me. Thier concern for profit mote than health and the long term affects of eating food treated with GMO.

I was feeding organic to all our birds (chickens, turkeys, guineas) but unfortunately the farm I was getting it from was flooded from Lee. The next closest place is about 2 hours away (although my horse trimmer & I may go in on getting a ton at a time) so for now they are back on regular grain (blue seal). It did make a major difference in my Cuckoo Maran hen that has seizures - she hasn't had one since starting organic! Her and my porcelain D'Uclle (sp?) bantam (she's 90% blind) stay in the house in their own room & Hope (Cuckoo) has diapers to wear. So those two will def. stay on organic one way or another. Our birds free range anyway so that helps out quite a bit. I hated to put them back on regular (the organic smelled sooo good & fresh) but don't have a choice at the moment. I'd love to put all our critters on organic but at least they are fed/kept as natural as possible for now.

Well said!

Quote:
The term organic refers to a farm itself working as an actual organism; the crops feeding the livestock, the livestock fertilizing the crops, everything working in symbiosis, as nature intended.

It involves natural practices that do not make use of GMOs and synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides on crops. It is not the absence of of fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides as there are many natural alternatives that may be used.

For livestock, it means feeding those organically produced crops. Vaccines and vitamins are permissible. Vaccines are natural biologicals, vitamins can be natural. Synthetic or highly processed sources of vitamins are not allowed. Synthetic medicines and antibiotics are not allowed. Homeopathic remedies are allowed, as long they come from natural sources.

Humane standards are a little higher, e.g., animals must have access to the outdoors, age and weather permitting. Hens are not allowed to be kept in cages. Animals must be allowed to express their natural behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom