Feeding past dated oatmeal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickn chick 46, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    ok, this is a bit embarressing, but I was looking through my cabinets and found a canister of quick oats dated aug 08 and a box of quaker simple harvest apple cinnamon instant oatmeal dated Oct. 08. I remember trying this and didn't like it at all, sort of like eating the equavalent of bark mulch [​IMG]

So they got shoved to the back of the cabinet never to see the light of day until now. My question is can I feed it to the chickens or should I chuck it out with the trash?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'd probably go ahead and feed it. If it still "looks" good (i.e., doesn't have weevils running through it or anything obvious like that), it should still be good.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I found a box of old cornmeal in a container (forgot I put there), that was at LEAST 2 years old. My chicks absolutely enjoyed it. My chickens act as my garbage disposal.

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    As long as it isn't moldy or anything, it will be fine. They'll love the treat! [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    So long as the oats were still dry and not moldy it'll be fine. I feed my brooder chicks rolled oats all the time.

.....Alan.

6. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Good! Thanks! No obvious mold or critters milling about so I'll cook up the apple cinn. for them in the morning and use the other to toss in with their boiled egg every now and then. [​IMG]

7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Frankly, if the oats were dry and not moldy I'd have eaten them. People set too much stock in those dates XD

8. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Went to make biscuits for breakfast yesterday and found bugs in the mix! First thought was, the girls might like this and we do have a new box of mix.... I know that mix isn't the best but you do what you can. Outdated stuff like that is either still good for people and even better for chickens![​IMG]

9. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Just had a Nature Valley bar marked around Oct 08.

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mmmmm....critters might have been an extra treat for them:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by