Feeding pigeons when and how much?

Hi i was just wondering how many times i should feed my two pigeons a day and how much food they should get. also how much grit should i mix in. Finally can they eat dove food?
Let them have the food available all day........that way, if you can't get home for some reason you don't have to worry about them starving.

Use a heavy food bowl... preferable one with an rim around the top, this stops the birds throwing out the food all over the cage.

Use your dove mix, and add some layers pellets. They can have human grade raw unsalted peanuts as treats too to get them tame.

Don't refill the food dish until its almost empty. Make they eat all the different grains, otherwise they will only eat their fav ones and waste a lot of food.

Don't refill the food dish until its almost empty. Make they eat all the different grains, otherwise they will only eat their fav ones and waste a lot of food.
That's a very good point to remember.

The few things I found wrong with letting them have food 24/7 (which is just my experience and doesn't necessarily apply to any of you) is 1: They weren't as tame, our bird's relationship with us revolves mostly around food, but you'all seem to not have a problem with that while giving them treats. Mine liked their food fine and were never much for a treat! 2: They eat more than they need to, often get fat, get picky, and waste money. 3: when training flyers you really need to ration and keep them "hungry" for training.

@ fowlsessed:

I feed 24/7 and I am noticing exactly what you said. (Although my homers are very tame).

I feed 24/7 because most of my birds at present have squabs.

However as my young bird flock expands this year I am going to feed only once or at most 2 twice a day. Only letting my young birds eat what they can acquire in 10 minutes. I will be moving my young birds into their own separate compartment.

I may leave my breeding pairs with food 24/7. I have not quite decided yet.

Last edited:
I only feed at very most fourth cup per larger breeds, fourth cup feed per nesting pair, fourth to half cup for half dozen young training bird kits. i only feed their main meals in evening and whistle certain tune to call them if and when needed.

Last edited:
I feed mine in chick feeders and waterers, or just coffee cups, handles tied to front corners of cages. I've fed wild bird seed, budgie food, chick feed, dry dog food, dry cat food, layer feed, scratch, and premium pigeon feeds, seperate or mixed together, some were not offered and they just ate on own with or after other pets ect. best feed was: layer, scratch, and wild bird seed mixed together. i used cage bird grit with calcium just in seperate container by feed, or diatamacious earth (DE) as grit mixed with feed, in grit cup, and as dust bath, as cures interbal and external paresites, bacteria. and viruses.

Last edited:
Ive never had best luck mixing meds or grit ect (except apple cider vinager-ACV), in pigeon water containers.. grit is just free choice in seperate container or in bottom of dry food cup/chick feeder. i feed dandilion and other good for them greens chopped diced ect or tied/clipped firm to cages also.

Bread is an extra treat they will enjoy, as well as oddly meal worms, other bugs mine catch when let out, as well as mow down greens. Dry rice is also good for them, and dont worry they won't blow up. lol. right now I'm trying and liking this new CO-OP brand "seven grain scratch feed". it seems to have naturally most of what they need, without all of too much protien sugar salt and chemicals, that feeding layer only constantly can supposedly harm pigeons too long term over years.

It is best to feed them twice a day, once in the morning, once in the afternoon. About a tablespoon per bird both times. More if they are breeding. Grit should be available all the time and kept fresh (it's okay as long as it isn't wet and caked up or soiled). I feed mine a mix I get from the local mill called "Gamecock". It's mostly pellets with whole corn, black oil sunflower, milo, and I think wheat or oats or something. Anyhoo, the birds like it and they do well on it. Before their prices went up, I was feeding the Rock-n-rooster pellets and rock-n-rooster scratch from Southern States, half and half.

Back
Top Bottom