Feeding pigeons when and how much?

mandelke86

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Illinois
Hi i was just wondering how many times i should feed my two pigeons a day and how much food they should get. also how much grit should i mix in. Finally can they eat dove food?

well hi, finally your parents got convinced. but ok!!!! you can feed them your chicken crumbles when breeding. but for now since they are not breeding i will mix both foods together and just give them 1 teaspoon per bird one in the morning and one in the afternoon. hope you have squabs this year and have a nice cool pair!!!! BTW where to you live THIS IS PIGEONE15

Feeding once a day is fine, but I would do twice when they are raising squabs. I would give them about a handful of feed per bird. Watch them and adjust accordingly. Dove food is good, but needs something added, mainly for a higher protein content, and something that has vitamins/minerals in it, if the dove feed is lacking in that department. Chicken pellets usually are fine. I would try the dove food and chicken pellets 50/50 for now. Feeding can get scientific and complicated, but that usually isn't necessary. The main thing to remember is this, you want a fairly high protein content, also fairly high carbohydrates, low or no fiber content, and low to moderate fat content. Look at the labels, and combine the feeds proportionately to correct levels.

Hi,
You should feed your pigeon atleast 2 times a day. And give alot more food while they are with the babys. you can give them lots of dried corn. they love that. You can also give them dove food but try and add a differen variety of food somtimes.

Hope everything goes well.

At the moment my pigeons are on eggs and i need to feed them alot more than normal to keep them happy

I do not have a lot of assortments of feeds available to me for my pigeons. I feed laying pellets to my birds when they are not with squabs. Then when they have squabs I feed meat builder pellets. My birds have feed available 24/7.

I do not think that is wise of me.
In the future I will change to a more regimented feeding schedule once in the morning and again in the evening. My birds also get shelled peanuts and sunflower hearts as a hand feeding treat.

Works for me all my birds can home 60 miles at a drop of a hat most 100 miles and two 600 miles.

Back
Top Bottom