feeding red rangers

zacksimpson

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Georgetown SC
I'm raising 50 Moyer red imperial, and wondering about feeding. do you just free feed the whole time, limit feed after a certain age, or what? also what percent do you feed? having trouble finding the info online.

I have some broilers (Cornish Rocks).

I give them food from about 7 am until about 7 pm. Twelve hours. They have water 24/7. I remove the feeder in the evening so that they have more room to sleep. (My broilers are still in the house and are a few weeks old.)

They are on 22% protein feed with some meal worms added in for more protein. It's recommended that they have 24% protein, but Tractor Supply doesn't carry 24% feed. I've asked at several stores. In the next day or so, I will be start giving them fermented feed. Fermented feed is suppose to have a higher absorbable protein percentage.

Even with access to food for about 12 hours a day, my broilers are gaining weight quickly and growing daily.

My baby chickens have access to food on the same schedule. Once they go outside, they will be feed a few times a day in addition to their free ranging. There is no food or water in the houses. Period. ALL of my animals have done well with this feeding schedule and grown/are healthy.

I'll go with the 12 on 12 off, though these guys aren't quite as piggy as Cornish broilers. I have just been wondering if ive been over feeding them.

I have one Red Ranger* in with another group. She's on the same schedule and quickly outgrowing her room-mates. She's feathering out nicely and evenly.

The Cornishes are pudgy all the way around. They are feathering out nicely. In the first few days I had them, they seemed to be growing faster than the fluff/feathers could keep up with them and they had bare spots. (At the store, they had access to food 24/7.) I reduced access to feed and now their fluff/feathers have caught up to their growth.

That might be a good measuring tool - if they have bare spots because they are growing too fast, cut back on feed. And make sure their butts aren't dragging on the ground cuz they are so fat!

* Employee at TSC didn't know what breed the loner was...thought maybe a Red Ranger.

Back
Top Bottom