Feeding table scraps

Our Nest Egg

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Troutdale
I am new to BYC, but love all the post. My question is, at what age can I start to feed my chicks table scraps?

They are now 8 weeks old, would love to give them some treats.
hmm.png

Would appreciate any help, tks.
smile.png

I'm a new owner and have been shredding carrots for mine since they came home at 2 weeks old. I feed them one dish a day of whatever I have: carrots make them bonkers, celery, tomatoes, and today was cauliflower and broccoli stems. I put them through the food processor. Also, washed and baked egg shell, finely crushed.

I gave mine carrots yesterday and they would't even eat any. Mine are spoiled, they want their sunflower seeds,and whole corn.lol:D

First things first!!
welcome-byc.gif
Pammysue!! You're about to embark on a life long love of chickens, and we're here to help you start out on that journey that is chicken ownership!! So, welcome! Welcome! Welcome!!!
jumpy.gif

Eight weeks of age should be plenty old enough for treats provided that you supply then with some kind of grit to help them grind up these treats. And be sure that you keep the amount offered at the "treat" level through the next 12-16 weeks. Chicks should be kept on a high quality starter feed for their first six months at least. But treats are certainly permissible and, depending on what it is, highly encouraged.

You might want to cook them up a bit of scrambled eggs for added protein in their diet. Veggies and greens are good, and since your babies are at the 8 week stage, pasting up shouldn't be too much of a problem. Certainly not as much as it would be at 2 weeks or less.
wink.png
I like to give mine some cooked oatmeal with mixed veggies stirred in. My big girls love it too! WORMS!!! OMGosh! They LOVE worms!!! Just dig around in your garden a bit and find some of those nice little ones. Be prepared to laugh yourself silly at their antics when eating worms!
gig.gif
And if you have a video camera, be sure to have it rolling before you present them with worms!
lau.gif
It's a total hoot!!

Just so you know, inquiring minds always want to know what's in your flock, how many, where you live.......And PICTURES!! We LOVE to see pictures of chickens. (Other fowl too!
wink.png
) We'd love to see pictures of your babies too!! If you're not sure how to post pictures, you can find great tutorials on the procedure in the FAQ's section, located at the very top of the index page.

Again, Welcome to BYC! We're glad you came, and hope you'll stay!

Pammy Sue~
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. I'm glad to see you've got a good case of "chicken lovin' fever"! Go slowly with the new foods, the same stuff you eat should be OK, if there's not much salt or sugar. I say go slow, so that you will notice changes in your chick's behavior and poos, making sure everyone seems normal B4 adding new treats or food.
thumbsup.gif
Best of luck, relax & enjoy your flock!

Back
Top Bottom