Feeding the flock eggs?

Quote:
Thanks. I've been feeding it to them a few days in a row but I'll take your advice. Should I feed it to my pullets & coturnix as well. I also have 70 three week old Bob Whites. I wish my chickens layed like my coturnix.

Again, it's the food that nourishes chicks before hatch. Yeah, I'd let everybody have some.

Thanks again one last question I promise. I boiled the eggs & have been crushing them all up the egg shells won't hurt the other birds.

Quote:
Again, it's the food that nourishes chicks before hatch. Yeah, I'd let everybody have some.

Thanks again one last question I promise. I boiled the eggs & have been crushing them all up the egg shells won't hurt the other birds.

No they won't. I do recall reading - I think it was in Storey's Guide to Chickens - that the only eggshells you wouldn't want to feed back to the birds is from eggs that have been hatched. By the time they hatch they are full of bacteria, so a health risk to your birds.

Remember, chickens take what they need and leave the rest. I have oyster shell everywhere - in the coops and in the yards. The only ones that partake of it are the laying hens; the ones that need it.

I feed my coturnix and my chickens boiled eggs shell and all. Boiling kills any bacteria that may be lingering in the shells. My baby coturnix are fed boiled eggs exclusively for the first 2 days as a general rule. I also mash up the eggs for easy access to the nutrients. Just my two cents worth, but letting cracked eggs go to waste is never an option with me.

Quote:

No they won't. I do recall reading - I think it was in Storey's Guide to Chickens - that the only eggshells you wouldn't want to feed back to the birds is from eggs that have been hatched. By the time they hatch they are full of bacteria, so a health risk to your birds.

Remember, chickens take what they need and leave the rest. I have oyster shell everywhere - in the coops and in the yards. The only ones that partake of it are the laying hens; the ones that need it.

Quote:

I believe Storey's Guide was referring to uncooked eggshells.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom