Feeding up an underweight pony? Help?

Quote:
Yeah, the farrier mentioned he didn't take off as much as he needed, and it'll take a little while to get her feet back up to snuff. Also, we saw her while she was eating and she didn't have any problems eating and didn't lose food like our old guy did a few years ago when his teeth needed floating.

hi

i've heard from horse people in my area

ive never done this before

the horses that need weight gain on them

that they add small amounts of chicken feed such as laying or chick

starter to the horses feed

noone yell at me for the comment

That's interesting, poohevans, I've never heard of that before.

Perhaps there are similar ingredients to chick starter as in horse grain..... I'd want to ask my vet before adding something expressly for another species but that is a very interesting suggestion.
smile.png
The advice probably has some history in old horseperson lore. It would be interesting to find out.

That is a very cute pony! I agree with all the good advice for tooth care, deworming, good quality hay and grain. Taking it slow is good advice too because she is a pony and usually they are easy keepers.

Spring should see her blooming!

She does not really look that bad just a little thin, I used to put a cup of veggie oil and a capfull or 2 of red cell mixed into her feed she will start to look good in no time.

AL

Ok, I am probably unpopular with this, but I am a big advocate of not feeding too high a protein. After dealing with a few founders and knowing people who have foundered horses on feed, please be very careful not to over due it. I do not feed anything higher in protien than senior equine which is 14%. I cringe at the thought of feeding straight corn and anything like Calf Manna. I also use beet pulp and hay to add to their weight gain. Make sure to SOAK the beet pulp or it can cause choke. Hay is your best choice to up the weight and be sure to have your hay tested to make sure it is good. If not add in some alfalfa cubes - and soak them for senior horses.

Also give the Panacur multi dose a try. It does a way better job over several days and from my experience causes less stomach upset. I use more Panacur over a years time then anything else. I only rotate with Ivermectin.

My daughter is working on a shetland right now. She got him as a project pony to train and show and resale eventually. She has done a great job of keeping him stocked in hay and soaked beet pulp at every meal. His butt went from caved in to round. He still has a LONG way to go, but he is looking so much better. She hasn't rushed the weight gain with tons of grain, but just a small amount mixed into the beet pulp.

The information you posted on the recent trim would give reason for her stance - sounds like it was a pretty aggressive trim - changing the angle to much too quickly can cause soreness. Is there any way to have your vet come out and do an evaluation and give you sound advice? A vet can evaluate the condition and also check the pony's teeth and make sure they do not need floated - uneven growth, points can cause ulcers on the cheeks and tongue making it painful for them to consume feed which can ultimate be a factor in being underweight.

I would not want to feed a pony a lot of grain because it can lead to founder - also, introducing too much too quickly can cause colic.

If she was recently de-wormed, quality dust free/mold free timothy/grass hay fed free choice is the best way, in my opinion, to get her on track. You would/could supplement with Calf Manna but certainly not use it in excess or as the sole source of protein.

Good for you for caring for her and being open to seeking assistance in rehabbing her.

When try to put some weight on a horse I have found that 4 small feedings a day will help prevent any founder problems. spreading out the feed program should be a safe approach.

AL

Feed free choice grass hay. 2nd cut has less sugar than first. Sweet feed is crap. It has way to much sugar in it.
As for her hoofs, you NEVER want to trim alot off at once. You have no idea what that can do to the rotation of the coffin bone and the bones in the legs. it took along time to get over growen and the body adapts to this, removing to much will cause problems.
With long over growen feet it can take up to 1 year for them to be trimmed right and have beautiful new growth. Go slow with her feet. More harm then good can come from an aggresive trim.

Back
Top Bottom