Feeding while molting

dr1939

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
Do the chicken need anything different in their diet while molting. I am still feeding scratch and cracked corn.

Do you mean layer feed, pellets or crumbles? Scratch is a mix of whole grains. Laying feed is fine, but both scratch and corn have high fat and lower protein, so should be fed in limited(small ) quantities. Chickens need adequate protein in their diet to grow feathers, which, like hair and horns, are basically almost 100% protein.

I have never given them higher protein feed when they molt, but if you do give them higher protein feed than they don't eat as much!
thumbsup.gif

This year I have been mixing Flock Raiser (20% Protein) with Game bird starter (30% protein) and they are growing their feathers in much faster. In the past I've just supplemented with high protein treats, but this seems to be working better. My flock usually gets Flockraiser anyway, because I almost always have babies in the flock.

I have never given them higher protein feed when they molt, but if you do give them higher protein feed than they don't eat as much!
thumbsup.gif
Chickens will eat the same amount of feed if on a low protein feed or a high protein feed.

Chicken eat to fill there caloric needs, chickens that are fed a low calorie feed eats more than one on a high calorie feed.

Chris

Do the chicken need anything different in their diet while molting. I am still feeding scratch and cracked corn.
Chickens should have a minimum of 18% protein at molt, better would be a feed at or around 22% protein.
Also your feed should have some sort of animal proteins and fats to help with the molt.

Chris

In a mixed flock (roosters, youngsters, molting hens, laying hens) would you still increase the protein?

I'm feeding 17% grower, and fermented grains (13.5%) now. They also get greens while foraging but not as many bugs now.

Maybe I should add some high protein "treats". My feed store also has turkey starter - I think its 25%.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom