Feel worse than horrible...lost my first bird due to my own stupidity

I'm always losing things even things I loved due to MY stupidness. And my rooster just got killed so I'm greiving too.
sad.png
But don't feel bad better days will come.
smile.png
p.s. that rooster was my first bird.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I thought we were 'safe' as well but you just never know what's going to happen. Wild animals or domesticated animals - we just can't prepare ourselves for everything out there. I have to remind myself "it's just a chicken......it's just a chicken....." when I think about our losses. We DO learn from our mistakes but it never makes it easier.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
So sorry for your loss. It makes it harder when in hind sight you can play the IF--coulda, shoulda, woulda game with yourself. We're all human and make mistakes. You loved her and treated her well why she was with you and as tragic as it is you've learned from her death how to better safegaurd the rest of your flock.
hugs.gif
again, I know how tough it is.
sad.png

Quote:
I was just telling myself that (It's just a chicken...it's just a chicken...) while crying like a baby in the backyard. My surviving hen was singing a very sad song calling her missing sister when going to sleep.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
It was sooo sad.

im so sorry for your loss. i have made many stupid mistakes as well. i had the same thing happen to me with the dog. it was horrible but i got through it. you will to. just remember that the rest of your flock will be 100 times better of now because you will be more cautious. best of luck felix

That is sooo sad! Don't beat yourself up for thinking your dog was the rare dog that would behave... We all want to think our pets are the exception, because we love them.
It's not stupid to make mistakes unless you keep repeating the same ones over and over. My uncle used to say; "The lessons that come the hardest are the one's we never forget."
he.gif

Get another hen to keep your lonely survivor company. Chickens hate to be alone.

So sorry but at least you took heed and will be sure to not let it happen again. My GP killed one hen and I thought it wouldn't do it again...a couple weeks later it killed and ATE a young roo. I did not use my better judgement the first time and it was my fault the second chicken died. But.. now it will NOT happen again!!

We learn. You did better than me.
hugs.gif

You thought you could trust the dog. I know it's heartbreaking, and it's useless to tell you not to beat yourself up over it. Don't beat yourself up over it.
smile.png

I'm sorry for both of your babies.

I just rescued a dog aggressive Rottweiler! Just imagine what he's like when he sees chickens!

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom