Feet Issues & Red Patches on Elderly Cockerel's Legs

Susie Seagrave

Songster
8 Years
Jul 29, 2015
Aegina, Greece
A few weeks ago, I adopted a 10 year-old cockerel who was being badly bullied in his previous flock. He arrived with issues with his feet, and although he can walk around, although rather unsteadily, he is unable to jump, perch or climb up into the hen house unaided. I thought it might be arthritis but on close inspection, the rear toe on his left foot has no claw and seems to be stunted. During the day, he doesn't sit down. He tends to lie on his side, with his legs to one side. My next thought was bumblefoot, but he has no significant swellings or scabs, and the pads on his feet don't feel hard or crusty. I've attached photos of both his feet for comparison - your opinions on whether it might possibly be bumblefoot or something else would be much appreciated, and if there's anything I can do to help him..... Or if you think it's just old age! (Please excuse the poo on his left foot!)

Sir Bobby Both Feet 1 (Medium).jpg

Sir Bobby Left Foot 2 (Medium).jpg Sir Bobby Right Foot 2 (Medium).jpg

My second problem is something that has developed more recently. When 'Sir Bobby' arrived, I noticed the top of his leg where it meets the feathers was quite red in colour - more so on is right leg than his left. This now seems to be slowly spreading down his leg and I've noticed a red line going down his right leg that wasn't there before. Does anyone know what this is? What treatment should I give Sir Bobby? I've also noticed that there is a depression where the red patch is but his leg still works and bends as usual. I've attached photos of both legs for comparison and a close-up of the leg I'm concerned about. Sir Bobby may be old but he gets on well with my hens and I want him to enjoy the remainder of his life. I'm hoping you can help me and Sir Bobby.

Sir Bobby Left Leg (Medium).jpg LEFT LEG

Sir Bobby Right leg 2 (Medium).jpg RIGHT LEG

Red line is probably hormones.
I would rub some vaseline up underneath and into the scales of the legs/feet. They are a bit dry.
Spurs too long? Do they rub when he walks? Hard to tell in the photos.

Toes look ok. Back toe was possibly lost long ago to who knows what (injury?frostbite?) but is healed and I would say it's likely not an issue.

Can you get some photos of him standing and of how he lays down?

Age I would say is a factor. If he was being bullied, then he may need some TLC as far as nutrition goes. I would actually feed him chick starter or an all flock feed if possible. Mix in a little buttermilk a couple of times a week along with 1/2 tablet B-Complex. Your hens may gobble down the wet feed, so make enough for all (mine LOVE buttermilk feed!) or take him aside and let him eat cause if he's a good boy, he's going to let the hens eat it all!:) If you make enough for all, add more b-complex or just give him 1/2 tablet orally. B-Complex won't hurt the hens either.

The only thing I see in the photos is a dark area in the crease of his foot, it's probably debris, but you may want to spread the foot out to see what that is. There's also small spot on a toe..but I don't think either would be the cause of unsteadiness.

Thanks so much for your post. I tend to feed him on his own in the mornings, but he is also very capable of hogging the feeder! However, he is a good boy and lets the hens step in! I have never used buttermilk but a friend says it is available in the big supermarket here. I should mention I live on a small Greek island with ONE animal feed store that has a very limited range of feed, the components of which all have to be bought separately. My birds have access to a mix of corn, layers pellets, shell and grains all day, as well as fresh wet mash each morning. They do not particularly like the wet mash but some is always eaten. Perhaps the buttermilk will help! I'll also try the B-Complex. Is that just 1/2 a regular 'humans' tablet? I use Vaseline on one of my hen's legs so I'll try it on Sir Bobby's. Thanks.

I'll also try and get some chick starter. Unfortunately, chick starter is only usually available in Spring and early summer. It's very frustrating. There is not the range of feed or medications for backyard poultry keepers here in Greece, even online.

Here's a photo of Sir Bobby sitting - NOT on his side... Typical! Also, a short zipped video of him walking earlier today. I don't think his spurs are too long - they don't rub together when he walks. The dark area in the crease of his foot from my first photos is poo! He'd trodden in some just before I took the photo. But, the soles of his feet look to be bumblefoot free?

Sir Bobby sitting.jpg

Attachments

• Video.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Thanks so much for your post. I tend to feed him on his own in the mornings, but he is also very capable of hogging the feeder! However, he is a good boy and lets the hens step in! I have never used buttermilk but a friend says it is available in the big supermarket here. I should mention I live on a small Greek island with ONE animal feed store that has a very limited range of feed, the components of which all have to be bought separately. My birds have access to a mix of corn, layers pellets, shell and grains all day, as well as fresh wet mash each morning. They do not particularly like the wet mash but some is always eaten. Perhaps the buttermilk will help! I'll also try the B-Complex. Is that just 1/2 a regular 'humans' tablet? I use Vaseline on one of my hen's legs so I'll try it on Sir Bobby's. Thanks.

I'll also try and get some chick starter. Unfortunately, chick starter is only usually available in Spring and early summer. It's very frustrating. There is not the range of feed or medications for backyard poultry keepers here in Greece, even online.

Here's a photo of Sir Bobby sitting - NOT on his side... Typical! Also, a short zipped video of him walking earlier today. I don't think his spurs are too long - they don't rub together when he walks. The dark area in the crease of his foot from my first photos is poo! He'd trodden in some just before I took the photo. But, the soles of his feet look to be bumblefoot free?

View attachment 2765676
Yes, the vitamin is just regular human B-Complex.

He's a bit unsteady, but I'm thinking it may be more age related than something like disease.
He may improve over time with getting to eat, not being bullied and with your extra care. It's possible, he may be like this for the remainder of his life, but he's a lovely rooster and sounds like a sweet fella.

Back
Top Bottom