Feet or sticks growing out of her chest?

bethann33

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
It looks like a foot is growing out of her chest. This is my 3 month Americauna pullet. I noticed her chest feathers looking a little ruffly this evening, so I caught her and this is what I found. There was a flap of dried blackened skin over this patch of partially open/ partially blackened skin (size of quarter) and it had these two (3/4 inch long) stick like things sticking out of it- only they had skin growing or wrapped up and around the two stick like things. I put some antibiotic ointment on it and sent her back out, but goodness- it is strange!! What do I do?? My finger is holding the skin covered object. You can see the black tip and the skin growing up and around it.

Last edited:
It looks like a protrusion of sticks or feet coming out of her chest. Anyone know what I should do? I can't find any info on the web about this. It is very strange. If it is a part of her, then it would need to be sugically removed I would think, and if it is not part of her, than the skin around it would still have be to severed in order for it to be removed.

please help!!

Last edited:
It looks like a protrusion of sticks or feet coming out of her chest. Anyone know what I should do? I can't find any info on the web about this. It is very strange. If it is a part of her, then it would need to be sugically removed I would think, and if it is not part of her, than the skin around it would still have be to severed in order for it to be removed.

please help!!

I have never seen this, nor am I that knowledgable about diseases, but if I was you...

I would, if possible, see a vet, if you care a great deal about this chicken. (Which I do with all my chickens...)
Or, if you don't have a lot of time on your hands, cull her. (Which I have never done and hope you don't have to!)

As for treating it for the meantime until someone replies, I would clean it with betadine/water solution, then try to put some neosporin on it. Wrap it up in a bandage w/medical tape and change the bandage every day. Keep her seperate from the other chickens, and if she acts as if in pain put 325mg asprin into her water, which will lesson the pain for the poor girl.

Also, does she limp, peck it.... act in pain at all?
Good luck!
ACF~

Thank you for the reply!! :)

I just went out to check on her and was able to remove the blackened hard tips- they weren't sticks or feet, just lifted flaps of skin curled tightly and covered with hardened dead skin and blood. I am thinking she must have injured herself somehow where her skin was lifted off of her and this is just how it is healing? And the places that were red last night, had healed nicely after I put the neosporin on it.

With this- how best to treat an open sore injury such as this? I removed the dead areas as best as I could and I put antibacterial ointment all over it. Should I give her oral antibiotics? do I still need to bring her to the vet? I would think they would cut away the flaps of skin or sew them back to where they should be??? if I didn't, would it heal ok?

She is not pecking at it at all and the others aren't bothering her either. Which is why I never noticed it. It was covered by her touseled front feathers. It just had this scary thing underneath.

That is where I draw the line.... I don't want to give you the wrong information. Bumping this up for you!

I still think bandaging it up with the neosporin on it and let it heal up for a few days will do the trick. Make sure to keep it clean and any dead skin/tissue, get it off.

(Guess I can't pull myself away from answering you! :)

I'd personally give antibiotics. She's young and not laying. They heal fast and with giving antibiotics you need to give probiotics(probios) and I also give vitamins(poly vi sol without iron).

She should heal quickly. Make sure you wash and clean the wound until it scabs. It should scab quickly if there are no remaining sticks or foreign objects inside her. I've given a small amount of crushed and dissolved aspirin to a hen with an injury too.

Good luck.

What antobiotics is best to give to her? I only have corrid and neomycin sulfate on hand and some other gentromycin topical spray. I have poultry vitamins and probiotics.

should I cut away the skin flaps? they will always hang off of her if I don't. they hang about 3/4 inch off her chest and there are two of them- hard curled skin.

I use fish mox and fish flex. It's human grade antibiotics sold over the counter. The same generic antibiotic sold at the pharmacy. I know this because the pills I bought from the online pet store matched the script/pills that was given from the pharmacy.

I have no idea what to do about the flaps. I wouldn't cut them unless the skin was dead and shriveled I guess.

Back
Top Bottom