Feisty ringneck!

Peskypigeon

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Hello everybirdie,

I have a year old ringneck. He was a semi-rescue, as his parents were abusive. He’s a dove, so he started off timid, but I’ve had him for 5 months now and have been slowly working with him.

he’s gotten to the point of cooing at me (he’ll coo at most anybirdie, though), and I can put him on my hand and he'll sit calmly. But he doesn’t actually want attention, and he’s feisty with my other birds and me.

i understand he’s a male and territorial, but I worry he wants a dove mate rather than a human mate. If that’s the case... I’ll have to rehome him. I cannot have a breeding pair of doves, and I’m not sure if he’d want a cock mate. In addition- that’s too many birds for me as it is!

Is there anything I can do? Does anybirdie have advice, or should I find somebirdie who doesn’t mind a pretty dove who coos a lot without much desired attention?

Hello everybirdie,

I have a year old ringneck. He was a semi-rescue, as his parents were abusive. He’s a dove, so he started off timid, but I’ve had him for 5 months now and have been slowly working with him.

he’s gotten to the point of cooing at me (he’ll coo at most anybirdie, though), and I can put him on my hand and he'll sit calmly. But he doesn’t actually want attention, and he’s feisty with my other birds and me.

i understand he’s a male and territorial, but I worry he wants a dove mate rather than a human mate. If that’s the case... I’ll have to rehome him. I cannot have a breeding pair of doves, and I’m not sure if he’d want a cock mate. In addition- that’s too many birds for me as it is!

Is there anything I can do? Does anybirdie have advice, or should I find somebirdie who doesn’t mind a pretty dove who coos a lot without much desired attention?
Hello there, I am a new ring-necked dove owner and I just posted about a serious problem I was having with my 7- month old male, who was raised with me alone. He had become increasingly aggressive and obsessed with coo-ing and mating (with me). He also became territorial and agitated, darting around my apartment and screeching/laughing constantly. I felt like a had a possessed demon dove! (Though in the first six months he was an angel.) I gather his hormones were kicking in and he wanted a mate/partner.

Please see my posts...in a nutshell, I took a risk and got him a female of the same age. For a week he attacked her. But just in the past day, they have started to flirt and be together in the sweetest way. It is such a joy to see a female dove respond to his coos, and coo back, and then nibble on his feathers.

I am NOT an expert of experienced dove owner. But in my short time I would caution anyone about keeping a single male, alone. Mine grew increasingly impossible to live with (over a month). (Maybe not all single male doves would be that way, though?) I had almost reached a point of finding him a new home, and I'm glad I did not. I think there mating and partnering instincts are very strong and I look forward to watching their relationship develop.

I still don't know how everything will work out long term, but things are moving in the right direction, given the quiet and peaceful togetherness I have seen today.

All the best wishes for your dove adventure.

Jenna

Hello there, I am a new ring-necked dove owner and I just posted about a serious problem I was having with my 7- month old male, who was raised with me alone. He had become increasingly aggressive and obsessed with coo-ing and mating (with me). He also became territorial and agitated, darting around my apartment and screeching/laughing constantly. I felt like a had a possessed demon dove! (Though in the first six months he was an angel.) I gather his hormones were kicking in and he wanted a mate/partner.

Please see my posts...in a nutshell, I took a risk and got him a female of the same age. For a week he attacked her. But just in the past day, they have started to flirt and be together in the sweetest way. It is such a joy to see a female dove respond to his coos, and coo back, and then nibble on his feathers.

I am NOT an expert of experienced dove owner. But in my short time I would caution anyone about keeping a single male, alone. Mine grew increasingly impossible to live with (over a month). (Maybe not all single male doves would be that way, though?) I had almost reached a point of finding him a new home, and I'm glad I did not. I think there mating and partnering instincts are very strong and I look forward to watching their relationship develop.

I still don't know how everything will work out long term, but things are moving in the right direction, given the quiet and peaceful togetherness I have seen today.

All the best wishes for your dove adventure.

Jenna
I’m happy to hear it’s working out! Though I do disagree doves can’t be kept alone, as pigeons will mate to humans easily, and I know doves do as well if given the time and effort (Pigeons are just a bit more confident). My dove is attempting to, he just seems to have territory issues with his cage- both wanting to mate and fight in it.

i think... I will attempt in getting him a boyfriend, or at least a male friend if he doesn’t mate to me soon. He seems to want to, but perhaps isn’t sure on how to go about it yet.

AH! He just mated to me! ...I may have cried. I’m sure my warbled shaky coos were funny to him. But I had been spending time with him, and he was particularly lovey and flirty. So when he began to nest-coo in the bathroom, I put my hand by him to try and get him to come out of the bathroom with me (he will get on my hand if coaxed). He began to kiss it and coo at me!

I may still get him a friend, but this means he absolutely is open to a human mate. Whew!

Back
Top Bottom