Feline Fresh Pellets and quail brooder

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
Today I'm going to change the bedding in the brooder and clean it but I was wondering if it was safe to use Feline Fresh Pellet and mix it with pine shavings? It claims that it's "100% pure, southern yellow pine pellets." I've read on here that some users have mixed it with their chicken chicks' bedding but not with quails.

They're 2 weeks old and there's 14 of them. I understand the possibility that they might eat the pellets/dusted pellets but I figured I'd ask here just in case if others have had success with it.

Forgot to mention that I'm up to my neck in studying for school so I wanted to avoid spending time travelling to and back from Tractor Supply which is pretty far. The Feline Fresh Pellet is what I have available with me at home.

I think maybe you’re not getting responses here because no one wants to pipe up without real experience with the product in question. That’s true for me, anyway. So I’m gonna go ahead and chime in.
personally, I wouldn’t risk it. I don’t know that particular product, but wood pellets are generally going to be compressed sawdust. There will be small pieces of pellets in the mix; some will be small enough for the chicks to swallow, and when they find those, they will. Compressed sawdust will soften and expend after swallowed, and I just can’t imagine that’s gonna be good for their little guts.

The problems with sawdust type bedding i found was the chicks feet tend to get covered in the fine damp bedding were it sets like concrete
I found sand to be a lot safer as bedding

Today I'm going to change the bedding in the brooder and clean it but I was wondering if it was safe to use Feline Fresh Pellet and mix it with pine shavings? It claims that it's "100% pure, southern yellow pine pellets." I've read on here that some users have mixed it with their chicken chicks' bedding but not with quails.

They're 2 weeks old and there's 14 of them. I understand the possibility that they might eat the pellets/dusted pellets but I figured I'd ask here just in case if others have had success with it.
I think the Feline Fresh pellets have a perfume added, (fresh sceat), and anyother chemicals added that are propritory, I wouldn't risk it.
* I thought I had posted this earlier last night but just saw that I did not 'hit' the post button till now! :he :oops:

I think the Feline Fresh pellets have a perfume added, (fresh sceat), and anyother chemicals added that are propritory, I wouldn't risk it.
* I thought I had posted this earlier last night but just saw that I did not 'hit' the post button till now! :he :oops:
It happens, I do that too. Thank you for replying! I didn't think of the possibility of perfume.

The product page claims "No Chemicals or Additives." If they lied, couldn't they be sued for it? https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/prod...ant-odor-control-pine-natural-pine-cat-litter

Last edited:
The problems with sawdust type bedding i found was the chicks feet tend to get covered in the fine damp bedding were it sets like concrete
I found sand to be a lot safer as bedding
Do people solve that sawdust issue by scooping it everyday or something?

I have construction sand but I can't compost it if used as bedding. I use it for the adults' sandbath).

Last edited:
I think maybe you’re not getting responses here because no one wants to pipe up without real experience with the product in question. That’s true for me, anyway. So I’m gonna go ahead and chime in.
personally, I wouldn’t risk it. I don’t know that particular product, but wood pellets are generally going to be compressed sawdust. There will be small pieces of pellets in the mix; some will be small enough for the chicks to swallow, and when they find those, they will. Compressed sawdust will soften and expend after swallowed, and I just can’t imagine that’s gonna be good for their little guts.
I figured since it's kind of a unique situation.

That's what I'm worried about is them being young they'll eat the dust or pellets. I've also read that by this age, they'll be smart enough to know what's food and what's not. I guess you wouldn't really know unless you try it out which I cant monitor them a whole lot so I DIY'd automatic no mess feeders and waterers for them that only need to be checked weekly.

I wanted to try since they don't exactly toss around the pine shavings and poop right on top, leaving a layer of it. I've read about others having success with the horse wood pellets with other animals than quails. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...QW4dWKhp5SrVUgtn2YDhOTQgbSKT6_yhoCsgYQAvD_BwE

I tried pine pellets in one of my grow out pens last time, since I use it for cat litter, but I had to use a good portion of a bag to fill the pen so it's not economical. And it's just as dusty as shavings once they break down. You can always toss the shavings for them and they'll be thrilled to dig around after that.

I tried pine pellets in one of my grow out pens last time, since I use it for cat litter, but I had to use a good portion of a bag to fill the pen so it's not economical. And it's just as dusty as shavings once they break down. You can always toss the shavings for them and they'll be thrilled to dig around after that.
I see. I'm just trying to find a method to reduce smell more than mess. I try and throw in a bit of shavings to freshen up the floor as well as change up the consistency every now and then before weekly cleaning bc they tend to just poop a flat layer very quickly.

Thankfully, this isn't permanent and they'll be able to join the other adults in the outdoor run that has dirt flooring that they can dig/bathe in too.

Back
Top Bottom