Female duck acting strange

georgiie

Hatching
Feb 8, 2015
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me
I have a female Pekin Duck who is about 2 years old, she has been acting very strange lately. She is our only duck as our male duck passed away a few weeks ago, after his death she would not come out of the coop (they have a coop where they get locked up at night but during the day are free to come out and roam our property) and she would sit on her unfertilised eggs day in and day out (she never usually sits on her eggs, and if she did it would only be at night where during the day she would roam around with our other duck) and when ever someone would go into the coop to change water ect she would hiss. This week she is doing the complete opposite, she quacks violently all day and charges at anyone who comes near her. I'm not sure what is wrong with her, is it because of our other duck passing? Or is she sick? Please help me! Xxx

Yeah, it sounds like the poor girl is depressed and majorly stressed out without her partner. :/ You need to get her a new friend asap!

Yeah she is lonely. Our Peking did the same when it was just her. They are social animals. Our Peking did a lot better once her run was attached to the end of the chicken run but still kept them separate. She socializes with them and spends most of her day near them. I am not sure of she thinks they are weird ducks that go to bed on time or if she thinks she is a rebel chicken.

I need help!! I have 7 Pekin Ducks 3 male and 4 female. We have a small pond where they stay most of the time. Not at all messy on the property, I guess because of the pond. Are very social. Always come when we are around. They are all about 9 months old. We have found a few eggs, but not every day and not in any one spot. Is it too late to get them to lay where we can find the eggs. They sleep in the middle of the pond all together. This is my first try with Ducks, but I really like having them and would love to have the eggs.

I have a small house that I keep some wood chips in. It isn't much bigger than a dog house for a large dog but it is sheltered. They mostly lay in there but for some reason the Peking will, at times, lay just about anywhere. I have found her eggs in the run, by the garden, and in the yard. That isn't often, but every now and then. The roof is removable so it makes collecting the duck's eggs easy. Just like anything, they have to get used to it before they will use it.

thanks, I will try that and hope for the best. I don't know if it will make a difference because my Pekins are "free range" Thanks again.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me
I have a female Pekin Duck who is about 2 years old, she has been acting very strange lately. She is our only duck as our male duck passed away a few weeks ago, after his death she would not come out of the coop (they have a coop where they get locked up at night but during the day are free to come out and roam our property) and she would sit on her unfertilised eggs day in and day out (she never usually sits on her eggs, and if she did it would only be at night where during the day she would roam around with our other duck) and when ever someone would go into the coop to change water ect she would hiss. This week she is doing the complete opposite, she quacks violently all day and charges at anyone who comes near her. I'm not sure what is wrong with her, is it because of our other duck passing? Or is she sick? Please help me! Xxx
She has gone broody - losing her mate may have influenced that. She does need duck company. Have you put an unbreakable mirror in with her? That can help.

Back
Top Bottom