Female goose is lethargic, won't walk, unresponsive. Please help!

Mirana

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2019
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) White/light brown goose, maybe shetland. Not sure of age. Regular weight compared to other geese
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She's lethargic, did not come eat, does not want to walk/move, will not go to nesting/sleeping area even though other geese have moved there for the night. One goose is trying to talk to her, as if he's trying to get her to follow him, and she does not even respond which is unusual. She recently laid an egg.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Haven't seen her since yesterday and she was fine then, she's had symptoms for an hour+, but could be many hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She recently laid an egg... Egg bound?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She has been eating layer pellets, some cracked corn/barley, but today she didn't want to eat
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Didn't see her poop
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Ideally treat self but will try to bring to vet if necessary. She isn't my goose, she lives at a local pond and I just feed them most days/keep an eye on them. I assume she and the other geese were dumped there. I'm not sure that she would even let me pick her up, but I will do my best to get her to a vet if need be. Also, where they nest/sleep is private property. Where I feed them isn't, but I can't really go to their nesting area without trespassing
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They sleep near the pond, it's just dirt/grass

Thanks so much for any help, I am really worried about her

Last edited:
I don’t have geese, let’s tag @Miss Lydia and @Pyxis

But a few questions @Mirana
Is it possible that a predator attacked the goose? Is this a pond that other humans visit, that could have given her something poisonous? People in public lakes and such try to feed birds all sorts of things that aren’t good for them.

It wonderful that you are concerned, but if she isn’t actually your goose, I’m not sure what else you could do. Maybe take a pan of fresh water with some vitamins in it?

Thanks for the response @WVduckchick

She didn't appear to have any injuries, and I've never seen any kind of predators in the area (not even tracks in the snow - I look specifically), but still possible they're there

Yeah, people do sometimes feed them bread, though not too regularly from what I've seen. We go there pretty often as it's just 2 minutes from our house. We've even seen moldy bread left there for them which we always promptly clean up (they don't seem to eat it though)

It's pretty awkward with them not being our geese, but if it were a life or death thing, we would be taking her to a vet and then just re releasing her when she's better I suppose. I'm not sure if she would like me picking her up but we have picked up one of the other geese there when he was having difficulty walking and he didn't seem to mind, so I'm hoping she would be the same. They eat out of my hands, let me pet them, etc, so I think they trust me. But I'm still not very experienced with geese, so I don't know what denotes an emergency

I have heard that you can give them liquid calcium if they are egg bound? She seems to have a lot of egg bound symptoms

She managed to walk back to their nesting area last night, so we decided to wait and see how she is this morning. Headed there now to check on her. I appreciate the response!

Back
Top Bottom