Female quail bumped head hard. How to help her?

marcelnikki

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2020
Yesterday one of our female quails got startled and jumped, hit her head quite hard.
After that, she was sluggish, quiet, and keeping her head down.

We took her out of the pen and put her in our home in a small cage.
Gave her some water. Well, put her beak in so she had to drink some, which she did.
She also ate a bit.

This morning, thank god, still alive.
She is a little bit more active. But really a little bit.
As I was watching her, she also managed to lay an egg...

What is you advice to help her more than we do right now.

I think she has a concussion?
What do you think?
How can we help her?
Will she heal?

We give her vitamin food, and egg food, and her normal quail seeds.
Is there anything else we can give her to nurse her back into strength?

She is still holding her head down, and sleepy. But from time to time she walks around for a minute or 2 and eats some food.
doesn't drink on her own, as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure she's warm, and kept comfortable. Other than that, there's not too much else to do. It sounds like she'll recover from your description, however.

I'm concerned when you mention "normal quail seeds", though. I have seen food advertised as quail food that only has about 16% protein. That isn't enough for quail. You might want to read the nutrition information on the bag.

Make sure she's warm, and kept comfortable. Other than that, there's not too much else to do. It sounds like she'll recover from your description, however.

I'm concerned when you mention "normal quail seeds", though. I have seen food advertised as quail food that only has about 16% protein. That isn't enough for quail. You might want to read the nutrition information on the bag.

Thank you Nabiki. I will check that. Do you know how much protein the food needs to have?
(I will go look for it also)

Yes, I really whish for her to get better. She is eating more and more on her own, yay.

Thank you Nabiki. I will check that. Do you know how much protein the food needs to have?
(I will go look for it also)

Yes, I really whish for her to get better. She is eating more and more on her own, yay.
Quail under 6 weeks should be getting 28% protein. Adults can get away with 18-19%. Make sure the feed for adults is 3.5% calcium for your layers or offer egg shell or oyster shell (in quail sized pieces) on the side. I offer calcium on the side.

Quail under 6 weeks should be getting 28% protein. Adults can get away with 18-19%. Make sure the feed for adults is 3.5% calcium for your layers or offer egg shell or oyster shell (in quail sized pieces) on the side. I offer calcium on the side.
Thank you! From now on we will check the food and make sure they have the right proportion.
The female quail who injured her head is about 3,5 months old. She is drinking on her own again 🙏

Back
Top Bottom