Female reproduction and death

LakeGooseBerry

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Hi Everyone,

If a goose (or any domestic female bird) has trouble with soft-shell or no-shell eggs getting stuck, how likely is it to happen again? How likely is it to result in their death?

What age is the bird and what exactly does she eat?

If she is a new layer I wouldn't worry.

She is 6 years old and has never had problems before. She eats grass, vegetables, and fruits. I just started giving her duck pellets because I could not find regular waterfowl feed. She has access to oyster shells which she eats.

It can be life threatening, especially if it were to get stuck or break. Stress may be a possible cause if there’s no issue with calcium. I think this is an issue a vet would have an easier time getting to the bottom of.

A single soft egg is not terribly unusual, once in a blue moon, and usually self-resolves. If it becomes a pattern, it gets serious really fast. Try offering her crushed eggshells (it's better than oyster shell). If that doesn't work, try to disrupt laying pattern by removing her nest or even removing her from group, which will hopefully get her system to re-boot. If she breaks an egg inside of her, she will become sick and lethargic. Repeatedly offering her fresh water will help to flush it out.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom