Female turkey attacks me

RM18

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2020
Northern Wisconsin
Well if you’d like a fun story here’s a fun story. We were accidentally given a broad breasted turkey with our Cornish cross from the hatchery. Well we kept her and adore her. She is over a year now and is so very friendly. Always laid eggs and sat on them so we ordered 4 pults for her. She killed one by mistake but didn’t want the other 3. So a rooster (we thought was a hen) raised them. Well sadly 2 others died so we just have the one.
To the main story now. Tina (the turkey) is now trying to attack me. It’s only at night when I feed the horses because the birds get the left over and dropped grain. Did some research and saw that they will get more aggressive when in mating season and around food. (Wondering if the baby has anything to do with it?) This has only been going on for 3 days but I’m at a loss. I scare her away and run after her but I need to re-establish dominance, not sure how. If you made it this far I thank you and will take any opinions! I just need advice on where to go from here. Said turkey in question

Attachments

• 23B4FFFF-C0F5-4FAD-A54F-2621BD01C980.png
    23B4FFFF-C0F5-4FAD-A54F-2621BD01C980.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
Well if you’d like a fun story here’s a fun story. We were accidentally given a broad breasted turkey with our Cornish cross from the hatchery. Well we kept her and adore her. She is over a year now and is so very friendly. Always laid eggs and sat on them so we ordered 4 pults for her. She killed one by mistake but didn’t want the other 3. So a rooster (we thought was a hen) raised them. Well sadly 2 others died so we just have the one.
To the main story now. Tina (the turkey) is now trying to attack me. It’s only at night when I feed the horses because the birds get the left over and dropped grain. Did some research and saw that they will get more aggressive when in mating season and around food. (Wondering if the baby has anything to do with it?) This has only been going on for 3 days but I’m at a loss. I scare her away and run after her but I need to re-establish dominance, not sure how. If you made it this far I thank you and will take any opinions! I just need advice on where to go from here. Said turkey in question
The baby probably isn't making her aggressive because it's not her baby unless she is being motherly towards it. There is a good chance it's because the time of year. Mating session. Female turkeys are fully ready for such things when they are around year old or a bit older. Have you tired picking her up every time she gets aggressive?

Has she chilled out for you yet?
She is so cute in that harness. 😍

are you sure shes just not upset at that harness? lol j/k

Back
Top Bottom