fenbendazole dosage?

Pics

lilmagill

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
davidson, north carolina
I have treated my Gretel for external parasites but she is still not doing well… Feather loss, lethargic, losing weight. She is still eating and drinking. she must have worms, although I haven't seen any in her poop. I have fenbendazole safeguard for goats and have looked for dosages on this site but have seen several different recommendations. Can someone please tell me how much to dose her? and I understand you do not have to wait before you can eat the eggs? She actually is not laying but I assume I have to dose my other 3 girls as well as I have no way to separate them except for during the day...? and how does one know that they get enough medicine? I am going out of town Tuesday so I need to start tomorrow. I would appreciate any tips and how to's. Thank you so much!

oh my this is all just so much. there are so many differences of opinion on this site and it just makes it all so difficult for someone who doesn't know anything, like me. Carolyn, I read that there was no withdrawal time with this product? and have you successfully gotten rid of worms with the water method? or has it just been a preventative measure? I must say that method is the one that looks more feasible for me right now. but I do want to do the right thing.
Yeah, so sorry. :hugs Lots of information, so good, some bad. :(

If they were mine I would give 0.23 ml per pound orally for 5 days in a row. That amount will treat large roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and some species of tapeworms.

When given just one day, as CarolynF did, only large roundworms will be treated.

Safeguard is not approved for laying hens in the US so there *is* a withdrawal, and most people wait 14 days past the last worming.

" but chickens don't have the enzymes to digest milk and can cause them digestive issues"
milk kefir is a probiotic ferment made from milk in which the lactose has been completely digested and eliminated by the culture in the fermentation process creating about 36 strains of probiotics, 33 more than yogurt! Really good for digestion, etc. we give it to our dog as well. I believe the reason chickens, or any animal for that matter, other than a calf :), can't digest cow milk is because of the lactose. This has completely taken the lactose out replacing it with probiotics :)

Let's stop about the worms real quick and go back to the beginning.

You said she has feather loss....that could all be from the mites eating her.
How long ago did you git rid of the mites?
She may just need some extra protein to help grow everything back.
The mites could have done a huge number on her and she may need a little time to recover.

More on dosing:
fenbendazole_1.JPG

Source:http://avianmedicine.net/publication_cat/avian-medicine/

Did you all know that when Safeguard it given to dogs and cats it's given for no less than 3 days in a row?

I made a mistake and gave her too much. I put 1 teaspoonful in a kefir/ bread mixture when I think I should have only given her 1/4 teaspoon. I would say she ate about half so she probably got about a half a teaspoonful. i've been watching her and she seems ok. Still eating and drinking. I did have a freak out and googled and it said that it is very hard to overdose safeguard. I guess that's why they named it that :)
The good news is that if she did get 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) there is a good chance that you did treat capillary worms. One study I read said that a single large dose of 100 mg/kg was very effective in treating capillary worms. :) FWIW, I have several that I have given this dose to because I was too lazy to treat them 5 days in a row. :)

she had lice eggs your her event that I cut off after I gave her a bath and dish soap. I did not see any bugs on her anywhere else. I sprayed the coop down with liquid seven and put down some DE as a future preventative. I have sprayed her with permethrin twice, one week apart. and thank you for the link but I need layman's terms. If she has intestinal worms how much do I put in a gallon of water? I have seen 2.25 mL, 3 mL and then your article suggested even more. I'm really upset and confused and need someone to tell me what to do. thank you.

She doesn't know what kind of worms...
And this is what she has on hand and wants to use...
It's not water soluble, and the 3 ml (cc) per gallon isn't likely to treat anything. My suggestion would be to give it orally or buy something that is water soluble. Wormout Gel is water soluble and will treat all worms, including tapes.

Here is a picture of a bird that was treated with 3 cc/gallon Safeguard.

Last edited:
When the dosage says X amount in a gallon of water they are assuming the chickens will drink the right amount, i.e. it's calculated for the avg amount of water a chicken will drink. You can mix a smaller quantity, just keep the proportions the same.
Here's the problem with that... How much does a chicken drink per day? More precisely. what percentage of their body weight do they drink? Does a 4.4 pound hen drink 100, 200, 300 or 400 ml per day? If I did the math right, each 100 ml has 7.92 mg fenbendazole (0.0792 ml of Safeguard). So if a 4.4 pound hen drank 400 ml she would get the equivalent of 0.317 ml of Safeguard, right?

My point is that 3 ml per gallon is not nearly enough to treat worms unless they drink close to 20% of their body weight per day.

Please check my math. :D

I forgot to say I started them on a garlic/milk kefir/Cayenne concoction today as I read that was a natural de- wormer. what do you all know about that method?
To the best of my knowledge, no one has done before and after fecals to prove that any of those will treat worms.

Back
Top Bottom